Friday, June 01, 2012

NATIONAL DOUGHNUT DAY

Having just found out that today is National Doughnut Day, I am anxious that it should be celebrated in fit style.

Which, like all holidays, is by getting riotously drunk and wearing silly hats.
Not that I have any intention of doing so myself.
I want young people to do it.
They do it so well.

Go at it!

I am somewhat upset that we don't get a day off for this venerable celebration which has been around since 1938, especially as it is much more meaningful than most holidays. Donuts were once our national food, before the invention of pizza.

And donuts, as I'm sure you are well aware, are one of two great Dutch-American contributions to our culture. The other one being scalping. We Nieuw Amsterdammers taught the natives how to scalp. My ancestors did. In between eating donuts.
I feel so proud.
The world has not been the same since.
Sudden hairloss and growing obesity.
That's some pretty profound stuff.
We're clearly a force for good.

Today is for celebrating Dutch-American achievement.


甜圈節 TIM KUEN JIT

Even more amazing than the discovery that today is National Doughnut Day was seeing that Wikipedia also describes it in Chinese.

Quote:
甜甜圈日(英語:National Doughnut Day)是救世軍為了表揚在第一次世界大戰中提供甜甜圈給士兵的婦女們而設立的,訂於每年6月的第一個星期五;這一天許多美國的甜甜圈店會提供數量不等的免費甜甜圈給顧客。
End quote.

Source: 甜甜圈日

From this we learn that a doughnut is a "sweet-sweet circle" (甜甜圈), and that the Salvation army (救世軍) engages in the "succor (of) generations" (救世).

I think I'll enjoy it all the more now that I'm aware of this.

Happy holiday, everyone.  Enjoy the party!

You have all weekend to recover.


==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

THE MACHINE LIVES

Surely everyone is pleasantly surprised that the SF Police have identified one of the people who torched a driverless taxi vehicle (Waymo) b...