Monday, October 23, 2023

A QUACKING GOOD IDEA

Because of the rain, which is unusual for this time of year, the natural tendency for the thoughtful man is to remember preserved duck or chicken leg in rice cooked in a clay pot, with one or two black mushooms and some green stuff. Very Autumnal. Comforting. My apartment mate, being Cantonese but on the same planet, thought of porkchops. There was one waiting for me when I got home from sheepherding the crabby old men of Marin.

I'll have to introduce her to my idea sometime.
Preparation of which starts here:
茂利 = Luxuriant profit ('mau lei'). Which reminds some people of the phrase 冇理 ('mou lei'; illogical, foolish; short for 冇理由 'mou lei yau'). The tones of the phrases are actually different, too. It often quirks me when I pass by.

Five years ago on the bus back from piranha herding in Marin I had an immense yen for rice and preserved meat. The next day off I went and got myslef some chicken parts and prepared exactly that. That memory comes back regularly during the wet season.

I'm fairly certain they've got duck. But I'll have to check.
If so, claypot rice (煲仔飯 'pou jai faan') soon.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

WATCH OUT FOR THE WILD LIFE

The first few hours of being out and about were the same length of time as the last few hours. But I got a lot more done, because it was coo...