Sunday, May 07, 2017

INSTEAD OF FATTY SNACKS, SOTO BAKSO IKAN

On my way home from the bus stop I passed two young ladies snarfing donuts. And, being a totally superficial old sexist, the first thing that came to mind was that if they ate better they would not look so ..... um, "healthy".
The second thing was to wonder what kind of person eats donuts at seven twenty in the evening.

Upon reflection I realized that very likely they had been celebrating Cinco de Mayo all day, and like tipsy people frequently do they "needed" a Bob's Donuts fix. That usually happens at two thirty in the morning, but these girls had had a head start.

There are several things that, because of a puritanical attitude, I cannot bring myself to do.

One of them is smoking cigars in bed, the other is alcohol before tea-time.
I always felt hugely uncomfortable at office celebrations.
Beer during daylight is so gauche!


I know, I know, as someone who spent a lot of time in Europe I should be used to inebriating beverages from lunch-time onward, the entire continent is basically plotsed by mid-afternoon, and in places like the Midwest and Pennsylvania they maintain that as a fine tradition, along with weiswurst, headcheese, hákarl, pâté & gherkins, and pickled pigs feet.
Il est une tradition très ancienne!


I confess myself defective.


If there were a Dutch snackbar with deepfried savoury things around the corner, I might be big as a house by now. Instead, I am verging on thin.


For dinner I had curry fishball noodle soup with gailan, plus bacon and mashed fresh chilies. What you might call cà ri cá viên kiểu Hà Lan.

We'll call it kiểu Hà Lan for want of a better term.

Sometimes I really miss Dutch junkfood.

Everything with sambal.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

2 comments:

What do you think of this news item? said...

Man votes, then collapses and dies

Making his democratic choice was the very last act in the life of one unfortunate man in the Paris region this morning.

The 89-year-old had just slipped his voting ballot into the urn when he was overcome with chest pains and collapsed in the town of Draveil, Le Parisien newspaper reported.

Medics tried to revive him but a doctor later pronounced him dead.

The back of the hill said...

The possibility of Le Pen did him in, obviously.

Search This Blog

PLANS. I HAVE PLANS!

It takes about five hours for the twitchy ache in my lower legs from the amlodipine besylate to diminish sufficiently that I can sleep. I ti...