Monday, November 30, 2015

A TEMPORAL FLAW

I've just finished the last of the kringle, with my second cup of strong tea.
Let the weekend begin! And dang, now I would like to enjoy a pipe, but it is rather chilly outside .....

As it probably will be on Tuesday and Wednesday too; and I'll be outside during the afternoon on both days. My weekend is during the week.

Somehow, the weather never satisfies me. I used to be more tolerant of climactic variance.

When I was still a youngster, it did not matter if it was a warm and humid summer evening, or a snowy winters night; with appropriate clothing this blogger would head out into the open air, and enjoy a smoke somewhere else. Several pipefulls.
It seems like while my pipe tobacco has gotten better, the weather has gotten worse. That may have something to do with my return from the Netherlands to California, as good tobacco is sometimes hard to find out in the rural countryside of North Brabant. And I should mention that I do not particularly miss the snow. Or rain. Or sleet. Or hail.

Or the persistent sideways wetness of frigid gales blasting across the meadows and bogs, nor the vicious icy drafts that send snow flurries straight into your face.


The autumn mists and fogs, yes, I miss those. They are visually soothing.

Brabant is beautiful when the leaves have fallen and bronzes limn the land. Greyness drifting in a thin trail above the bedewed grass, crisp morning air, in the period before the rains come.




[SOURCE: http://www.expedia.nl/vc/reisgidsen/noord-brabant/herfst-op-zn-brabants.]


I just cannot fall quite as much in love with California in the fall, though the ginkgo leaves underfoot on Clay Street between Leavenworth and Jones are beautiful right now, as will the scattering from the trees outside Ping Yuen in the weeks to come also be. Ping Yuen is further down hill, and somewhat sheltered; hence a later leaf loss.


A kringle, in case you are wondering, is the state pastry of Wisconsin, being a buttery yeast-risen pastry-dough rolled in layers, filled, shaped into an oval or circle, baked, and brushed with royal icing.

Both cups of tea were boiled double-baggers.

I've smoked four pipes today.

Antique fragrance.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

SAN FRANCISCO IS TOO DANGEROUS!

A few years ago, my regular care physician and I had a conversation about kangkong (ipomoea aquatica), sidetracking from my tobacco use and ...