Sunday, December 07, 2014

THE DON JUAN OF STOCKTON STREET

Really, I shouldn't gossip. But this is about someone you don't know, so it's okay, right? Right? Anyway, he has not one but TWO girlfriends, the lucky devil. And while on the one hand I am astounded and not a little shocked, on the other hand I am intrigued. How did he do it?

It turns out that his brother is one of the key magnets for the young ladies. They just adore the little fellow!

Chiu Ming is quite the lady killer. But his sibling is an absolute doll.


Actually, the only reason why Chiu Ming and the two females in question associate at all is because Chiu Ming speaks intelligibly. The kid still communicates in long drawn out "mmmmmmmmmmmmmm", especially when one of the girls reaches out and cups his cheeks.
So smooth, so round, so silky.

Sweet face. No wonder they like him.

Chiu Ming is already in the first grade, his brother is only in the first year of kindergarten. The two young ladies look like they're the last year of kindergarten and the second year of grammar school respectively.
Chiu Ming does NOT like girls! He claims not to know them.
Probably self-preservation, as both of them know him.
Maybe he's jealous; both girls are adorable.

That could explain "mmmmmmmmmmmmmm".

His kid brother is a 'player'.



Chiu Ming discussed pipes and tobacco with me while the two little girls petted his younger brother's face. I'm sure they thought he was just totally kissy, but they weren't going to cross any lines.

Chiu Ming is a little baffled that I like to smoke and read. And what, he wishes to know, is 'Dutch'? French he's heard of, German also.
Dutch sounds strange!

It is. It's easier than French, softer than German. Not unlike English, of which it is kin, same way Cantonese and Mandarin are also related. But when I was child most our books were in English, so I learned how to read it early. Though I pronounced many words as if they were Dutch.

He also asked me how come I spoke Chinese, but admitted that I was hard to understand, because I don't speak right.
"Well, I like to eat, and some of the things your parents sell don't have English names...."
He conceded that that made sense. The tourists didn't know what to call them either when they wandered in. But they couldn't read the characters written on the wall, even though they were big.
While we talked, his little brother kept darting out for some more face time with the cutest of the two little girls, then withdrawing behind solid objects, before going forward again. She has small hands; I can understand his quandary.

The girls finished their snackipoos, said 'bye bye', and left with their mom. Chiu Ming waved perfunctorily. His brother looked wistful.
I really hope we see them again soon.
For the kid's sake.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How can you write that Dutch is "softer than German"? Schäm dich!

Compare these two sentences out loud:

Ich lese den Telegraph.

Ik lees de TeleKKKKHHHXXXHHHraaf!

Every time I hear my cat coughing up a fur ball I think of the Dutch language.

M

The back of the hill said...

Ah, but you're giving Dutch that horrible 'Ollander pronunciation!

Ik lays duh telehhhhraaafffff.

The northern Ch or G indeed sounds like hairball upchuck. The southern hhhhh (de 'Vlaamsche 'g') sounds soft and breathy. Every time I hear a cat horking up a hairball, I think of 'Ollanders and Germans. Everytime I hear a 'Hhhhhh' I recall Brabanders, Limburgers, Flemings, and Swiss.

Search This Blog

PLANS. I HAVE PLANS!

It takes about five hours for the twitchy ache in my lower legs from the amlodipine besylate to diminish sufficiently that I can sleep. I ti...