Sunday, December 21, 2014

PUNTERS!

Recently my apartment mate was talking over the phone with friend who will be visiting Canada soon. Canada is a very fine country, make no mistake, and has much to recommend it.
But their interpretation of junk-food is not among that.

"For the love of God, do NOT eat the fried chicken!"

She remembers how impossibly ghastly the fried chicken was in Vancouver. Apparently, it was nightmare inducing.

The last time she visited Vancouver was when she and I were still a couple. That was in February of 2008. We often ate separately during that trip, because we both liked exploring the city on our own. Being Chinese, her curiosity took her to some very strange places, and coupled with the hunger ("the HUNGER!") which people of that cultural and ethnic background are 'blessed' with, some ill-advised culinary choices were made.
By her. Not me. Her. I ate well.

Vancouver has great fish. Stick with the fish.

Avoid the fried chicken.

I have never been disappointed in fried chicken. Ever. This is because as a typical Dutchman, I lack faith. I do not trust food cooked by people who do not have a reasonable presumption of reliability regarding what they serve.
Canada is not a fried chicken culture. They are a poutine culture.
No one else does poutine like them.


EPIC CANADIAN CUISINE


[SOURCE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u88th9aedKU.]


I showed that clip to my ex. Her comment? "God, I love that frog! I'd run off with him in a minute! Leave all of you punters in the dust! 
Even the wheel chair dude!"

My reaction was considerably more rational.
I wanted some poutine. "Peeyew-teen."
Fries, cheese curd, beef gravy.
I've had it; it's delicious.


"I love that frog; I'd run off with him in a minute!"


There are, to the best of my knowledge, no darling little poutineries within easy distance of my abode. It is inexplicable. This must be an oversight. Surely so food-savy a city as San Francisco puffs itself would not overlook the glorious Canadian contribution to the cooked arts?

Life can be very disappointing.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A poutinerie was recently opened near the campus in Berkeley, apparently a Canadian chain. Certainly you can find some excuse to venture into Berkeley for an afternoon.

Search This Blog

PLANS. I HAVE PLANS!

It takes about five hours for the twitchy ache in my lower legs from the amlodipine besylate to diminish sufficiently that I can sleep. I ti...