Friday, December 19, 2014

GENTLY CANTED STARBURST

When I mentioned the pipe to Brian, his eyes lit up. "Ah, the two sisters". Apparently he had known them in the seventies and eighties, when he and they had been the only ones with 'La Paulina'. A brand which I have never smoked, but which rings a bell. Not a firm and solid bell, more of a half-remembered bell.


There's a lot in the industry which does that.
Nicotine is good for the memory.
A lot of bells get rung.


Pauline had gone to New York, and came back with a perfectly grained Wilke bulldog natural. It turned out to be one of her best pipes.

That was in the early eighties, when the two sisters still ran the place.

Wilke in New York is no more.

Gone by the nineties.

A memory.



The pipe that changed hands today was a lovely little Dublin, smooth natural saddle.



TOBACCO INDEX


==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

4 comments:

At the Hill of the Back said...

I have followed you posts about tobacco, and I wonder why it is that you are not interested in cigarettes, and barely in cigars. I saw in one comment that you mentioned that you used to smoke cigarettes, but stopped. Can you explain why you made that decision? I smoke 12 packs of cigarettes a day, that is, 240 cigarettes, and every single one of them is a grand experience. I am open to exploring other forms of tobacco, though, such as cigars or pipes or cigarillos (you sometimes smoke those, don't you?), if you convince me of their benefits.

The back of the hill said...

You don't really want me to talk about the evils of cigarettes, do you?

Especially seeing as you yourself admit that you are a convinced and addicted slave to the dark side (that being Philip Morris et freres).

At the Hill of the Back said...

Are you not also addicted to nicotine? What's the big difference?

The back of the hill said...

Slower more civilised in-take, better taste and a more interesting spectrum of tobaccos, and less nicotine absorption overall.

The smoke from a pipe is also chemically diffferent. That, partly, accounts for the superior aroma.

Search This Blog

THE ADDENDUM AT TEA

Tea time, as regular readers know, is very important to me. But instead of going to one of my regular places I gave it a miss today. I just ...