Tuesday, October 08, 2013

PLAYING IN TRAFFIC

It has become apparent that my apartment mate and I do not necessarily get along smoothly. No, we understand each other far too well, and we've known each other such a long time, that we aren't ever likely to declare war on each other. And we actually have great mutual regard.
But we do need to be away from each other sometimes.

I don't behave around her like I would around other people, and my presence puts limitations on her necessary post-work decompression.
She requires time alone. I am alone most of the time anyway.
I get plenty of that.

So I probably will take long walks in the evenings. Ideally there would be somewhere that I could just hang out, read, and occasionally pause or step outside for a pipe-full of tobacco. But coffeeshops have become rowdy non-smoking environments for the chattersome classes, and while I like people, I don't like a multitude.
Someplace quiet.

Three to four hours, several evenings a week.

The library is out of the question, as it's filled with nuts.


Until the rains come, the upper reaches of Nob Hill and environs are the likeliest haunts. It's peaceful between here and Chinatown.
I'll just have to remember that smokers must humbly skulk in a wide arc around non-smokers with children or dogs.
Or unaccompanied children.
And dogs.

And stay out of parks. As well as maintain a minimum of fifteen feet distance from doors, windows, patios, foyers, outdoor seating, airwells, ventilation shafts or devices, elevators, service areas, entryways, bus stops, wheelchair ramps, homeless shelters, government offices, child-care facilities, passenger loading zones, educational and medical institutions, intellectuals, and politically correct people.


Most sidewalks around here are about ten feet wide.


Watch out for cars.


No reading.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's interesting that kids bring their pot to parks quite often, while you can't smoke your pipe there. Have you been bothered smoking a pipe in a park?

Arno said...

Here in Holland I can go to a coffee-shop, buy some pot and smoke it there. But I am not allowed to light up my pipe, that is illegal..

Search This Blog

SAN FRANCISCO IS TOO DANGEROUS!

A few years ago, my regular care physician and I had an informative talk about kangkong (ipomoea aquatica), sidetracking from my tobacco use...