Sunday, June 16, 2013

BEWARE THE LITERALIST!

A long conversation with a very dear person recently illustrated once again that yours truly and the majority of upright sentient creatures are NOT on the same page. The subject was this blog, and it was soon very evident that my interlocutrice did not read English the same way I do. Despite English being her native language, one with which she has a lifetime's familiarity.

I enjoy the language.
She just uses it.


I do not presume that I am remarkably more intelligent than everyone else, but neither do I believe my language unusually dense.

Yet half the time I have to adapt my speech and screed to an audience that lacks a well-developed sense of irony, or, sometimes, any inventive flexibility with the language. And often my sense of humour falls on dead ears.


No, I do not love the sound of my own voice; that's why I write.


TOO MUCH ROSANNE ROSEANNADANNA.
NOT ENOUGH MUPPET.


Most of the world appears to consist of Marketing Department People, or salesmen, or very nice but very blinkered little mousy types in Accounting or Clerical Staff; many of the folks who actually understand what they read here are probably from Tech Support or the Anthropology Department.
There's a dissonance that cannot be breached.


If you feel a little alone out there, don't worry. This is a place where you can say things that someone will do his best to understand. Eccentric humour and twisty insights are welcomed.
Feel free to comment -- notice the convenient links for that purpose all over the place, including the "letterbox" -- and likewise respond to something that irritates you. If you have a Kermit the Frog expression on your face at that moment, that's good; at least you grasped what was being said.


Fozzy Bear is also fine.



NOTE: Both the 'comments' and the 'letterbox' offer you FOUR identity options. If you do not wish to link to your own blog, OR have no blogger account, and perhaps you plan to say something atrocious, you should choose the very last one: Anonymous. If you do not do so, your sincere input may just disappear into deepspace, never to be seen again. Always wait for the message that says that your comment went through and pends approval.

You might want to remember that this blogger is a dirty old man who hasn't had female companionship in several years before you suggest that we meet over coffee and crumpets, however.
At the haphazard moment I shall be awfully blinkered, and will misconstrue.
I can be rather dense at times.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

PLANS. I HAVE PLANS!

It takes about five hours for the twitchy ache in my lower legs from the amlodipine besylate to diminish sufficiently that I can sleep. I ti...