Wednesday, August 20, 2008

GOOD LATAKIA DUMP

The term Latakia dump refers to tobacco mixtures with a very large proportion of Latakia. Teenagers love such products and will gladly fill their cheap briars with them; something about the strong smoky reek is like a religious revelation to the young.
Certainly when I was still a boy such products appealed immensely to me.

[For a description of my favourite boyhood tobacco, go here: Balkan SobranieIt was quite literally the gilding of a youthfull age. And I am nothing if not self referential. ]



Samuel Gawith's
COMMONWEALTH
Full Strength Mixture
Fifty percent fine Virginia, fifty percent Latakia.



I like this tobacco much more than I do.


What that last sentence really means is that I like the idea, the aroma, and the feel of this tobacco more than I like actually smoking it. Such a blend requires a bit of attention, lest it become a tongue-burner. And because of the amount of flue-cured leaf, it can and should be enjoyed at a higher moisture level than most smokers of Oriental blends are wont to do. Treat it like a Virginia blend, however, and be pleasantly surprised. It is like having butter go across the tongue, or filling your mouth with tweed and leather. It has a creaminess that goes well with sherry.
It is good. It is quite good.
But I wanted to like it a lot more than I do.


The tin aroma is richly sooty, the appearance of the tobacco between dusk and black. Not a tobacco to keep in the regular rotation, but one to open up occasionally for a fine dark day.




TOBACCO INDEX


==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

As previously referenced by Lipman's comment about Elelphant dung (the Swiss equivalent), yes?

Lipman, would you care to weigh in on this?


---Grant Patel

Spiros said...

Elephant Dung? Latakia Dumps?
At the risk of Lipman calling me a 12 year old again...

Anonymous said...

Smells like super beaver.


---Grant Patel

Anonymous said...

I am a twelve year old wombat.


---Grant Patel

Anonymous said...

I will not buy this tobacconist - it is scratched.

Give me a banana!


---Grant Patel

The back of the hill said...

Do please note that ALL tobacco-related posts can be found listed here; sort of an index.

http://atthebackofthehill.blogspot.com/2010/01/big-heap-of-tobacco.html.

Work in progress, updated at random.

Search This Blog

THE ADDENDUM AT TEA

Tea time, as regular readers know, is very important to me. But instead of going to one of my regular places I gave it a miss today. I just ...