Thursday, June 29, 2023

NOODLES, CHILIPASTE, AND A HOT BEVERAGE

For the past three weeks I've been living off noodles with soup or stew, sambal, and either coffee or milk tea. Most of the time. The noodle thing is because wether I'm eating out or in, it's easy, comforting (especially in the cold weather we've had all month), and it accords with my own style of cooking. There are plenty of places within reasonable distance (Chinatown) which provide a variety, and when at home I have a very large selection of noodles of various kinds to choose from. And as you would expect I have hot condiments coming out of the wazzoo. You should see what's in my refrigerator.

Today I only had a pastry in Chinatown preparatory to a mid afternoon pipe smoked while sauntering about avoiding tourists. I finished and returned home before the evening rush hour. Whereupon I had some more hot caffeine. It's not so much a rut as laziness driven by a slow recovery from covid (finally tested negative over a week ago), and the fact that my feet are cold. That's probably a circulatory issue, which predates covid by a couple of years; in the words of one of my cardioligists, "there is no ulceration, that's good!"

.
If I write an autobiography, that may be the title.
There is NO ulceration! Good!
Broad noodles with red-stew beef, hot douban paste (辣豆瓣醬 'laat dau
baan jeung
'), hot chili oil (辣椒油 'laat jiu yau'), plus greens and an egg.

It's been cold and windy every day this week by late afternoon. The fog blows in well before sundown, and sensible people are wearing sweaters or thick coats. Except for many twenty-somethings, who go around in tee-shirts to show off their belly pudge and tattoos, even when walking their dogs. I marvel at them; how wonderful to be insensitive and not fully alert.

According tho the weather reports, there is the beginning of a heatwave further inland, and parts of the country have been sweltering (!) under oppressive temperatures, in addition to breathing pollution because Canada really should have raked their forests (Republican wildfire theory), but didn't.

High nineties in parts of the south. Far too hot to eat.
Maybe some of them will trim up a bit now.
They're all diabetics there.
Or borderline.



And apparently also Karens.
Especially when they sweat.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

RABBIT RABBIT, ALL YOU BAD SINGERS!

Rabbit rabbit. Happy May First. Now that I've got that out of the way, let's talk about why many marketing types and trailerparkers ...