Sunday, July 07, 2019

CHILD HIDING

One of the regulars has returned from Amsterdam, which he loved. He was recounting his time there in the backroom, enthusiastically and animatedly. But the part that caught my ear in particular was his laudatory mention of a stunning woman he saw.
When I brought that up later, he confessed that it had been from a distance. He had not come any closer. I refrained from mentioning the differential between distance vision and nearby vision.

He looked wistful; he probably would have liked to have been closer.


You know, there is something awfully cute, absolutely charming, about a two year old hiding from four and five year old little girls who think he's just adorable. They were extremely nice little girls, but the little boy was shy. Not terrified, just shy. He reminded me of that.


As a youngster I too was shy. But I doubt that I was "adorable".
I probably already radiated future grouch.
As well as a pipesmoker.

No matter their age, pipesmokers are never adorable.
Very likely not terrified, but perhaps shy.



Amsterdam is one of my favourite cities, and I am pleased as punch that he liked it so much. All nice people should visit Amsterdam.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

A LACK OF PROPELLANT

Rereading my old posts reminds me that I used to be immoderate. And at times over the top. I've calmed down and grown up since then. Now...