Thursday, June 13, 2019

CURRIED STONE CLASS

As frequently happens I left the house too late for breakfast, or even lunch at a reasonable hour. Instead, I had my first food of the day closer to tea-time. Curried fish chunks with rice (咖喱石班飯 'gaa lei sek paan faan'). Some kind of grouper (石班魚 'sek paan yü") sliced into large collops, battered lightly and deep-fried, served with a curry sauce.
And a pile of cooked rice.

On my days off, I tend to fart around till long past the time for dim sum.

It doesn't sound quite healthy, and my doctor wishes that I would pay more attention to my diet. But fish is good, right? Bengalis consider fish to be a vegetable, ritualistically speaking. In the same category as cabbage.

Bengalis are not a factor in my life, but I'm opportunistically borrowing.

Curried fish is actually an ideal breakfast food.

Bengalis would agree.



Just so you know, the phrase "let's do lunch sometime" means bupkes. It translates to "I'll have lunch one of these days while reading your most recent social media post at a time which is convenient for me".



Largely then, due to my own tendency to not contact people for long periods, and because of my tastes, my meals tend to be lone affairs.

But at places where there are people. Because I am a social person.


ONE MAN, AND HIS PLATE OF CANTONESE FOOD

Besides, I'm going to smoke my pipe afterward, and people of refinement eschew tobacco and consider a pipe to be one of those reprehensible habits peasants have, or their great granddaddy had when he was killing natives and stealing their kangaroo pelts or settling the untamed frontier.

Let's do lunch sometime. I smell like a deceased relative.
It will be part of your cultural education.
Olfactory history project.
Credits.





==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

IN TUNE WITH WILD LIFE

That noise outside while I was drifting awake? Turned out to be the streetsweeping vehicle. Not actually an owl. But it had sounded ike an o...