Thursday, July 16, 2015

IT IS THE EAST, AND JULIET THE SUN ...

The loveliest young lady in Chinatown is an Indonesian girl from Medan. Trust me. And, having seen her, the day is over, nothing greater can be achieved, everything else would be anti-climactic, and it's time to go home. Further hanging around is pointless.

This blogger had been watching a diverse array of people, including the world's tallest middle-aged black drag-queen, march up Pacific Avenue towards the New Asia Garden, where the Harvey Milk Dinner was being held.

I was leaning on the ledge outside the Miriwa Center smoking my pipe when the car parked. A young lady disembarked first, looked around, saw me, adjusted her hair, and approached. She smiled shyly.
And asked me if it was okay to park there.

Why yes it is!

I would've said that in her case she could park wherever and whenever, and it would be quite okay. Anywhere! Please please PLEASE park right in front of me. Good lord! Heavens!
Except the cat got my tongue. And also, common sense kicked in.
One does not want to come across as completely crazy.

The sign said no parking before six P.M.
At that time it was already 6:30.

She and her kinfolk headed down the street towards Grant Avenue.
I heard them talking, and asked the last person (dad, uncle, cousin?), who was lagging behind a bit, where they were from. Orang Indonesia atawa orang malaysia? Dari mana? Apa kota? And, of course, at the point when he responded, my command of Indonesian departed.
Every conversational gambit I could think of was in Cantonese.
Coming face to face with a lovely woman makes one's knees weaken.
Turn to water, in fact. With a delayed reaction.
Which may extend to the brain.

Still, I got to see the loveliest young lady in Chinatown.
Intelligent eyes, and a warm personable smile.
Very ladylike, clearly of good family.
White skirt, grey cardigan.
Small shoes.

[So what else did I notice about her? Only her calves, because of her shoes. I dwelt primarily on her gentle expressive face, though trying desperately not to stare. Because, when all is said and done, I am the cleanest minded dirty old man anyone could ever know.
I think her hands are also very nice, but I cannot be sure.

All I really noticed was her face ... ]


I suspect that they were heading towards Yee's. That's the only food place on that stretch of Grant Avenue, and both splendid roast meats as well as very fresh seafood may be had there. Great Chinese food.
Really, where else could they have been going?


文仔記燒臘茶餐廳
MAN CHAI KEI SIU LAP CHA CHAN TENG
Yee's Restaurant
1131 Grant Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94133
415-576-1818.


I sincerely hope that they enjoyed their dinner.
The roast goose is well worth a trip.


GOI YI -- ALTERATION

All in all a very good afternoon.

The pipe tobacco really sang, several interesting people had passed by (did I mention the staggering queens?), and I had enjoyed a snack at one of my favourite bakeries. This was after negotiating the hemming of four brand new pairs of trousers at a place which is almost invisible.
The seamstress (關太) asked me how I had found her shop.

Well, there is a sign.....

It says 改衣。

I'm picking up the pants on Wednesday afternoon. Probably before or after a snack. By that time, the Teochow fishballs and gai choi I bought today will have been exhausted, I'll be sick of Marin after working there for four days, and I'll be ready for a complete change of pace.

Yes, I'm looking forward to Chinatown.
I enjoy loitering on my days off.
There is much to see.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

BEFORE THE RAINS

Well, sleep was sheerly awful. Legs. My cardiologist tells me that there is a solution for that. Yet I hesitate, because I'm walking mor...