Thursday, August 21, 2014

FIGLIA! MIO PADRE!

Probably the most interesting search that brought a reader here is "why is Sparafucile in Rigoletto a Burgundian?" That's a good question, and the answer is that I have NO idea.

Despite consulting Wikipedia, I still have no idea. But I was struck by this phrase: "Rigoletto approaches his house and is accosted by the assassin Sparafucile, who walks up to him and offers his services. Rigoletto considers the proposition but finally declines; Sparafucile wanders off, after repeating his own name a few times."

Good heavens! Rigi-boy lived in San Francisco!

The rest of the opera bears this out.



Like many others in this city, I too repeat my own name a few times after chance meetings. Or whenever the fancy strikes. If you don't know it, I'll spell it out for you. A ('ay'), t ('tea'), b ('bee'), o ('owe'), th ('thee'). Avec un 'T', comme Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes. The final letter is the thound of thomeone thpeaking with a hot potato in hith mouth.

"Equō nē crēdite, Teucrī! Quidquid id est, timeō Danaōs et dōna ferentīs!"

Don't trust the darn horse, you condoms! Whatever it might be, I suspect the geeks even when they do bring gifts.
Or something of that nature.

Caffeine, at quarter past six in the morning, is wonderful. I can feel all my synapses sparking, and I am strangely alive. Like the monster, electricity courses through my veins.

I need to put on some thunderous music.

And have a smoke.



Brownie points for whoever grasps why that line from Virgil's Aeneid automatically came to mind.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

A LACK OF PROPELLANT

Rereading my old posts reminds me that I used to be immoderate. And at times over the top. I've calmed down and grown up since then. Now...