Sunday, August 10, 2014

ALLEGEDLY THE MOST IMPORTANT MEAL OF THE DAY

Breakfast: A toasted peanut butter sandwich with sambal (chili paste). That may have been uniquely Dutch. It could also mean that more than thirty six years after leaving the Netherlands I have finally gone native.
But don't expect me to wear wooden shoes anytime soon.
Or wave any windmills at the world.
Nor stick a finger.


The traditional Dutch breakfast includes bread, sandwich meats, cheese, preserves, and huge buckets of coffee and tea. For many confirmed bachelors the only part which is constant is the caffeine. And please understand that by "confirmed bachelor", what is really meant is a mature man who does not or no longer has a woman who thinks he's pleasantly fantastic. The alternative is a "convinced and dyed in the wool bachelor", that being someone who never even considered a woman as something which on the whole could be rather good and desirable.
They probably eat house pets for breakfast.

The only thing we have in common is sambal.

Sambal is the fundament of civilized life.


Women, remarkably, are not really into the sambal paradigm. For some completely inexplicable reason they can survive quite well without it.
At six o'clock in the morning I cannot figure out why.
Maybe the answer will come to me later.
After much more caffeine.



The "confirmed bachelor" is a rather nice fellow, albeit not or no longer socially polished and gentled, as the companionship of a women is bound to do.

The "convinced and dyed in the wool bachelor" is, more often than not, a sour old prune.

I think I should like some herring.
Haven't had any in a while.

Need more coffee.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was informed years ago that the traditional Dutch breakfast consisted of smoked horse flesh on toast with a glass of gin...

M

Search This Blog

A LACK OF PROPELLANT

Rereading my old posts reminds me that I used to be immoderate. And at times over the top. I've calmed down and grown up since then. Now...