Wednesday, November 21, 2018

WHAT IS YOUR SHAPE?

Apparently some pipe shapes are sinful as all git-out. Shocking, even. Personally I've always liked what is called a bulldog -- some lovely examples are pictured on Greg Pease's blog, btw -- but the true rake and bon vivant smokes a pot.

Such as, for instance, a Peterson. I have a lovely Peterson Pot, which I just spent an hour looking for. Don't know where it is. Managed to break one of my favourite coffee cups while looking.

From a Facebookian yeshivist, I have been alerted to Victoria in Maryland, who posted: "If you smoke the pot and do sex, please don't comment on my profile ... "


THE POT

Here are some lovely GBD pots from Greg Pease:



I ended up with coffee everywhere. Bathroom floor.
And while I sympathize, sort of, with Victoria in Maryland, beset by sexual pipe smokers, I really don't.
My lighter no longer works. It was the coffee. Not the pipe shape, and not any sex either.

"What's your shape" is a lousy pick-up line.
Trust me on this.


Today after an early dinner in Chinatown I am probably going to smoke a Canadian, which is one of the pipes I fondly associate with that environment. An old Gresham Giant, made by Comoy of London. One of the other pipes with a Chinatown mood is the Pipe For Watching Rats in Spofford Alley, which I enjoyed yesterday, in Spofford Alley late at night. Sunrise, shape 110B, also by Comoy. Shapes (but not the actual pipes) shown below.


Please note that both of the pipes illustrated were from the Smoking Pipes Dot Com website, the second one photographed by Bobby Altman.

I think you'll agree that the two pipes above are piss-elegant.
Gorgeous, and profoundly old-fashioned looking.
Those are lovely photos.


The tobacco this afternoon will be Dunhill Flake.
After Hong Kong milk tea


If you cannot find either of the Dunhill Flakes anymore (they are no longer in production, though still available here and there), you should try the Orlik Golden Sliced, which is the choice of all shrewd judges.



Notes:
GBD was Ganneval, Bondier, and Donninger, a pipe firm established in 1850 in Paris. Comoy began when Louis Comoy moved from Saint Claude in France to London in 1850. Dunhill opened his first tobacco shop in 1906. GBD and Comoy (now both part of Cadogan) have been messed up in the last few years and no longer make pipes as good as they once did. Dunhill is now a portfolio of products owned by no one named Dunhill, their tobacco has been made by Orlik (a subsidiary of Scandinavian Tobacco Group)  for Kohlhase & Kopp for several years. The flake is jolly good stuff.


Darn it, I wish I knew where that Peterson Pot is!


What am I doing for Turkey Day tomorrow and Black Friday? Not a damned thing. I'm not nearly social enough. I'll probably wander around the city looking dour. And glowering. With a pipe.
I'm good at that.

Grumble.




TOBACCO INDEX


==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

THE ADDENDUM AT TEA

Tea time, as regular readers know, is very important to me. But instead of going to one of my regular places I gave it a miss today. I just ...