Thursday, November 01, 2018

I WANT TO BE A PRINCESS!

Growing up overseas I never got to celebrate Halloween, though since I left it has started to become a well-known thing even there. But when I returned to the United States, I didn't quite get into it.
It was an entertaining celebration.
But mostly gay.

Times have changed a bit. Very many adults now dress up.
Especially in the Financial District.
Fun times.


In my neighborhood it is adorable little Chinese moppets dressed like Disney princesses or superheroes with pumpkin buckets, accompanied by responsible adults before darkness falls and the weirdoes come out.


西方鬼節

For parents not quite used to the concept, kindergartens and grammar schools send an informative sheet home with little Ah Jen (阿珍) or Ah Ming (阿明), explaining what it is, how it is to be celebrated, and of what to be cognizant.
萬聖夜 ('maan sing ye'), 萬聖節 ('maan sing jit'), 哈囉喂 ('haa lo wai')
It's not the same as 盂蘭節,which occurs in Mid-Summer.

Hungry ghosts in the West require candy.

I do not know what else they tell them. One of these days I shall get my hands on that informative school sheet. It should be a fascinating read.

We do what now? And there are sweets?

I am Elsa, you are Anna!


艾莎、安娜



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

THE MACHINE LIVES

Surely everyone is pleasantly surprised that the SF Police have identified one of the people who torched a driverless taxi vehicle (Waymo) b...