Tuesday, September 15, 2015

ROASTED DUCK TAKEOUT IN SAN FRANCISCO

If you're like me, you do not want anyone to observe you eating roast duck. It is a messy business, and you will want to suck on the bones, get the grease all over your face, and then lick your fingers. And duck, of course, is not a large animal. So it takes more tongue motion and picky treatment than an elephant. Which has humongous bones. Fortunately, there are good places to pick up roast duck in Chinatown. Yes, also in "New Chinatown", but not nearly as good as "Real Chinatown".
New Chinatown is far too clean and hoity toity.
We are not hoity toity in this part of SF.
Good heavens, anything but.


My favourite place is right on Stockton Street, between Washington and Jackson. It's small, and the staff doesn't speak overmuch English.
Which I think is a very good thing.
Less competition for me.
From white folks.

Okay, sorry, I'm a bit of a snob, and I like throwing around that I can speak more than enough Cantonese to get whatever I want at a food place in Chinatown, and you probably can't.
Consider learning Cantonese.
It's well worth it.

Anyhow.


新凱豐燒臘店 
SAN HOI FUNG SIU LAAP DIM
GOURMET DELIGHT BARBECUE
1045 Stockton Street, San Francisco, CA 94108.
415-392-3288
["New triumphant surfeit roast meats shop"]

This is my favourite duck place. I love buying an entire bird, then going home and devouring it in a massively messy orgy of sweet savoury enjoyment. Just spread the newspapers around, and start stuffing.
Maybe with crusty sourdough, because I'm too lazy to cook rice.
And man, do I love stuffing myself on Donald.
And his little nephews.

Running close seconds are the following three places, also in Chinatown.


新月燒臘小館 
SAN YUE SIU LAAP SIU GWUN
NEW MOON RESTAURANT
1247 Stockton Street, San Francisco, CA 94133.
415-434-1128
["New moon roast meats small establishment"]

This is where I often go to have roast duck over rice. It's small, the food is excellent, and the atmosphere speaks to me, because it has a comfortable gemütlich feel to it. Hometown, our kind of place, good folks.


港新寶燒腊小食 
GONG SAN PO SIU LAAP SIU SIK
KAM PO (H.K.) K. - KAM PO KITCHEN
801 Broadway, San Francisco, CA 94133.
415-982-3516
["Harbour new treasure roast meats eatery"]

Bright and clean, spacious, and efficient.
And some damned fine duck.


文仔記燒臘茶餐廳 
MAN CHAI KEI SIU LAAP CHA CHAN TENG
YEE'S RESTAURANT
1131 Grant Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94133.
415-576-1818
["Manny's roast meats and tea restaurant"]

My least favourite place for duck, because I go there mostly for the roast goose (燒鵝 'siu ngo'). Which very few other restaurants do. Indeed, I also love roast goose. They list lots of food on the wall, of which the most unusual is the braised fish called Stone Dog Duke (石狗公 'sek kau gung'). It is an ugly specimen.
And only in Chinese, because white people can't eat.

They also have fresh clams (蜆 'hin'), giant prawns (大蝦 'taai haa'), crabs (蟹 'haai'), and lobster (龍蝦 'lung haa'). Plus frog (田雞 'tin kai') and paddy snails (田螺 'tin lo').


Please go to all of them.
And learn to speak.
Be happy.





==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

THE MACHINE LIVES

Surely everyone is pleasantly surprised that the SF Police have identified one of the people who torched a driverless taxi vehicle (Waymo) b...