Tuesday, July 17, 2012

SAN FRANCISCO SUMMER COLD WAVE

What I had for lunch was what any normal red-blooded male would have had. On a cold day.
During summer in San Francisco. When a howling gale nearly freezes your Kramers off.
Pale anemic sunlight. Arctic-strength wind chill.

A burrito con carnitas y salsa picante.
Sin frijoles.

I actually would have preferred a delicious plate of green pork curry and rice.
But there are no places in the Financial District that do a good version of that, using nice fatty pork and basil leaves. I may have to make it at home.


Why do people say that it's so cold that they're freezing their Kramers off?
It seems to me that the deciding factor is the wind direction. The part of me that was freezing was the right hand side of my body, especially the hand. That was what was angled into the breeze while I was at the wall smoking my pipe.
Not my Kramers.
I would hate to think of where the wind might come from to chill my Kramers. Blowing straight up?
It must happen at times, and that would certainly explain the scarcity of skirt-wearing women during summer in San Francisco. But I suspect it's more of a problem high up on scaffolding than at ground level.
Watch out for falling frozen Kramers - they're like little ice cubes or rabbit pellets, impacting and shattering on the pavement. It's a summer danger in this city.
The reason why you've never seen it is because of the large number of skirt-wearing women eighteen floors up. They're freezing too, but they have no Kramers.
For the public good, we need more lady welders.
I don't want to wear a hard hat.

Ideally, the green pork curry would be accompanied by a bright little miss with inquisitive intelligent eyes, wearing a skirt. Good silver ware, sparkling crystal, and a crisp white table-cloth.
As well as a bowl of sliced chilies in lime juice and fish sauce.
Crumbled toasted peanuts for a crunchy touch.
Young ladies always look so charming when they eat spicy food - it brings a pretty flush to their cheeks. Especially if they sneeze.
Afterwards we could have cigars together. Perhaps two dark-wrapper Nicaraguans of a decent ring gage. Following hot condiments, the spicy cheroots.  Perfect!
Except that it's far too frigid outside to smoke, darnitall.
And decent folks don't go to a cigar bar so early.
Irrespective of the status of their Kramers.

It was a very good burrito. With carnitas y salsa picante.
But something was missing.

No, not the frijoles.
Yo no gusto beans.


==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LIKE BEANS!

Search This Blog

THE MACHINE LIVES

Surely everyone is pleasantly surprised that the SF Police have identified one of the people who torched a driverless taxi vehicle (Waymo) b...