Sunday, March 13, 2011

NIGHT MOORING

I guess it's a question of what I'm really comfortable with.
Your reasons make the most sense to you, the least sense to me.
But it wasn't my choice.

Late at night I occasionally look in at you when you're sleeping. You look so peaceful.
Ms. Bruin the teddy bear, your oldest friend and roommate, has a protective furry arm around you, as if to say "back off, boy, she's safe here".
And you are - I will always want you to have that security.
I enjoy the fact that you are still living with me, even though to a certain (large) extent it cramps my style.

[Purely hypothetical cramping, of course - I haven't found anyone new. Despite my screamingly butch and more than acceptable masculinity, this being San Francisco, I am S. out of L.
Not metrosexual enough, not artistic enough, and just hella not hip enough.]


I know that you still enjoy my company, because the various small critters (one-legged monkey, purple cat, rude little sock-sheep, Steiff Raccoon, et autres) still talk to me on the days when you are at home. Or try to steal my laundry money, while cheerfully insulting each other.
They are rather silent when you are gone.

At some point, there may be another voice or two.
Fuzzy additions to the raucous tribe.
A new voice, new conversations.
It's a possibility.

Even in this town there must be some folks who aren't into scarification, freakazoid clothing choices, punctured skin, carefully cultivated eccentricity, and studiously unique forms of self-expression.
There have just got to be real people, even in San Francisco.
Exceptional by reason of character, rather than by attempt.

In the meantime I will continue to look in on you when you are asleep. You look so innocent lying there........ all the worries of the day erased by repose.
A roommate now. Just a roommate.
Very nice, still. It's a comforting sight.
It says that this place is home.


You're a good friend.


==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Not metrosexual enough, not artistic enough, and just hella not hip enough"

But you are smart, no, brilliant, funny, and damned interesting.
What more could someone want?

The back of the hill said...

But you are smart, no, brilliant, funny, and damned interesting.

Thank you for saying so!

Apparently in some ways I lack imagination. I am by no means perfect.

What more could someone want?

It is quite possible that they want much more. Or maybe they do not want anything like what they perceive I represent.
Still not planning to get tattooed, though. Not planning to haunt malls, gyms, and south-of-Market clubs either.

Search This Blog

A LACK OF PROPELLANT

Rereading my old posts reminds me that I used to be immoderate. And at times over the top. I've calmed down and grown up since then. Now...