Wednesday, March 23, 2011

IT AIN'T EASY BEING GREEN

Over the past few weeks the changes in the relationship between my roommate (my former love-interest) and myself have become much clearer. And I've realized something which is somewhat disturbing.

I'm far better at being an older brother than I ever thought possible.

I never knew that about myself.

You see, for the past fortnight she's been in a state of high emotion.
Anger at her boy-friend (variously describable as either 'Wheelie Boy' or 'That over-sexed Russian Jew'), plus despair, agony, exultation, girlish joy, and the warm happy glow of "He's so CUUUUUTE".

This bubbly teenage enthusiasm is something I have never seen in her before.
Perhaps during the two decades she and I were lovers it was barely above the shadow of a whisper.
So from one perspective, breaking up has been liberating.

Now, as merely a roommate and friend, I am probably better able to notice things. A certain emotional distance improves perspective. My voyeuristic side is getting quite an earful.
During all this excitement I am providing her with patient consideration, plus cups of tea when necessary. Nice hot tea.
Precisely like an older sibling would.


"It ain't easy being green"
[------Kermit the Frog]


For many years I was as stable as I could be, to such an extent that I am now more comfortable NOT voicing my own feelings, nor entirely at ease when others volunteer theirs. It is a protective skill. She was dealing with a labile family situation, and digesting the emotional scars that her upbringing bequeathed her. So my staying away from operatic forms of self-expression seemed like the best thing - the idea being to ensure an island of calm and sanity.

[Sanity is of course a relative term. Some people, including her, would probably not describe me and my environs as, strictly speaking, sane. Or even arguably normal. Opinions may validly differ, though mine is probably the right one. ]

Kermit the Frog never had to endure so much drama as there has been at 'Chez Toad' recently.
But I never-the-less have more respect for that little green dude now than ever before.

If I look like I'm flapping my flippery arms frantically, there are very good reasons.
The star performers in the show are being "themselves".
Expressively so.
And that, you will understand, will stress out any amphibian.
Especially one who must act 'mature', and 'nurturing'.

[Mature and nurturing? Some people would be mighty surprised at this self-description. It's a matter of opinion. Just remember that I'm growing into the role of rational frog, and as with all new things, observers may not recognize what they see at first.]

The more real-life starts to resemble the Muppet Show, the more I realize that Kermit as the one voice of reason among all the cast members was truly a great man. Great animal. Frog. Green person. Amphibian American.
How he managed to maintain his equanimity is beyond me.

It sure ain't easy being green.
This frog needs a soothing spot of tea himself.


==========================================================================
NOTE: As always, anyone who wants to send me a soft girlish 'ribbit' is more than welcome to do so:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence, and I'll gladly share a nice cup of Oolong.
==========================================================================

5 comments:

e-kvetcher said...

bravo?

Tzipporah said...

So does that make SK Miss Piggy? And I'm afraid the only image I'm getting for wheelie boy is Gonzo.

The back of the hill said...

Nah, visually she isn’t. Not at less than one hundred pounds. But in some ways there is a spiritual resemblance.
Gonzo is a very apt description, to my mind. It’s not perfect, but in that he would vociferously object to that comparison, it actually is perfect. Gonzo. Heh.

not-quite-greenly amphibious said...

"a certain emotional distance"? Let us know when you get there.

Anonymous said...

It's February 2013. Have you achieved that distance yet?

Search This Blog

OR MAYBE YOU ARE A HIPSTER

The first smoke of the day is accompanied by stumbling and dog poo. Not for me, as I am chipper and vibrant with hot strong coffee boiling t...