Monday, March 28, 2011

A WET LITTLE DOUGH POCKET FRAME OF MIND

I woke up at about four thirty this morning and was not able to fall back asleep. And I'm blaming a Chinese person for this. No, not Savage Kitten.

It's some guy who works in a kitchen a few streets over. Bastard!


水餃

Yesterday, after having been at the office for several hours, I headed over to Chinatown for lunch, only to discover that the place at which I intended to eat is closed on Sunday. So instead I headed two blocks further north and ordered a plate of 水餃 instead. This was just before three o'clock in the afternoon.
I should have known.
My own stupid fault.

Fourteen hours later I was dreaming about specific foods.

To whit:
南瓜汁拌鮮露筍
咸肉津白
四喜烤麸
圓子
外婆紅燒肉
大閘蟹
小籠包
拉麵
擔擔麵
水煮魚
海帶珊翠絲
清炒蝦仁
渤海雅片魚頭
滬江三絲拌冷麵
漁香蝦球
灌湯牛肉餡餅
煲咸肉菜飯
特式餃子
獅子頭
生煎饅頭
砂鍋雲吞炖雞
糟溜魚塊
舟山紅蜇頭
花膠雙冬煲
蒜蓉拍黃瓜
蘿蔔絲酥餅
蟹粉小籠包
蟹粉豆腐羹
豆沙窩餅
豆腐餃子
辣子雞
酒釀花雕蒸花蟹
醉香乳鴿
醉鷄
金巢崧子魚米
韭王炒鱔糊
韭菜鰻魚
香煎小黃魚
馬蘭頭百頁卷
高力豆沙香蕉
鮮肉生煎鰻頭
鯽魚
黃金白玉蝦
黃魚煨麵
Etc.


The perspicacious reader has by now figured out what kind of restaurant it was where I had those 水餃, so really there is no need for me to detail it.
Suffice to say that I should've had the 生煎包 instead, seeing as I had had 水餃 the previous time. And I've made it a point to not rely too much on the tried and true, but to experiment and eat different things.
It's a voyage of discovery.
One learns so much about oneself by eating something new.

And I would've done so, except that I was the only customer at the time, it being after lunch. So 水餃 seemed like an easy choice, whereas 生煎包 might have meant a serious imposition on a person taking a rest between lunch and dinner.
水餃 merely require boiling - anyone can do that.
生煎包 on the other hand require a trained hand and a keen eye.
Plus hot fat.
And he was probably taking a nap.
Hard-working cooks deserve their rest.
水餃.

It's HIS fault that I woke up with a full menu in my head and a yen for rich soupy juices. Bastard!



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Then just make arrangements with me to try and walk a little, (and slowly). How about Oakland 8th Street? I can even drive a bit now. All that stuff that you discuss wanting to eat is shocking me but I am certain that someplace will accommodate a vegetarian and the exotic palate. The only thing never allowed is smoking inside in California.

Search This Blog

THE ROUTE ACROSS THE HILLS

It irritates me to see very large white people in Chinatown. This is probably because I am bigoted against humongous Midwestern heffalumps. ...