Friday, October 02, 2009

HOBBIT SMOKE - VIRGINIA WOODS

Three days ago I purchased some tins of a tobacco which I had never tasted before, but did not intend to smoke for quite a while, seeing as I have a sufficiency of already opened tins that need to be diminished first.

And I stated so in this post:
http://atthebackofthehill.blogspot.com/2009/09/nasty-hot-twiggy-bizarre-nauseating.html


The tobacco was described by various reviewers in the most unflattering terms. Bizarre, head-ache inducing, tasting like pencil eraser, and leaving your tongue feeling like it had been napalmed.
[Per some of the cognoscenti here: http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/ in this section:
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=V&TID=785 ]


Their horrid statements perked my curiosity no end, but I was firm in my resolve; I would wait several months ere trying it myself.

Ummm.
Bought an extra tin, for sampling, two days ago. So much for firm resolve.
Yes.


VIRGINIA WOODS
McClelland Tobacco Company

"Formulated for a smooth, rich flavor with an incomparable woodsy aroma. Blended from matured Red Cake, Stoved Black Virginia, wide-cut Bright Virginia and other premium tobaccos."


Trust me, the idiots who panned it didn't know what they were talking about.
It's not bad at all.

Virginia Woods is a variegated mixture of ribbon-cut leaf, that once aired (to get rid of the excess moisture) yields a pleasant and not particularly complicated smoke. There is a note of natural sweetness.

Anyone familiar with the Baai Tabak (ribbon-cut mixtures of aircured and fluecured tobaccos) once commonly available in the Netherlands will recognize much here that is charming. No, it isn't something you can hot-box; inveterate smokers of Oriental mixtures should probably avoid it, along with people who only understand flakes. This tobacco is not for you.

I am very pleased with this product, and will probably finish the tin well before the end of the month. Normally I am not too impressed with McClelland, but this is one product that in my estimation has much virtue.


1974 - 1978

McClelland's Virginia Woods reminds me pleasurably of my mis-spent youth (mid-teens in Valkenswaard, North Brabant, Netherlands).
Summer afternoons in the upstairs living room, dust motes dancing in the sunbeams, a soughing in the leaves of the apple tree in the courtyard. Few other sounds: the rustling of a page being turned, a clink of a teacup.
My nose again recalls the faint aromas in the vicinity of my dad's desk - a smoke echo, the pale metallic perfume of the alloys formerly used in drafting equipment, inks, and the armpitty tang of sharpened pencils.

This tobacco may leave you a little light-headed. Virginias tend towards nicotine. But you will be of good cheer. Have some tea.




TOBACCO INDEX


==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

7 comments:

DEATH BY NOODLES said...

More combustible gibberation. My my, little man.

The back of the hill said...

My gibberance does not combust!

The back of the hill said...

Flaming gibberance would more than likely be mister Grant Patel.

Tzipporah said...

You ALMOST make it sound tempting... good thing Bad Cohen made me give up smoking years ago.

The back of the hill said...

Hmmmm, I cannot envision you with a pipe. I've always pictured you more as a cigar mayvn.

Tzipporah said...

ha! It was clove cigarettes - horrid, nasty things that deposit sugar in your lungs.

But yummy.

The back of the hill said...

Clove cigarettes are now illegal in the United States. As of September 21st.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Smoking_Prevention_and_Tobacco_Control_Act

You would need to purchase 'clove flavoured cigarillos' instead.

I would recommend going whole hog (pardon, errrm, whole kosher thing), and switching to something nice like Arturo Fuente Exquisitos - the dark wrapper is very nice, but elderly codgers will insist on a claro. It's about the size of a Senorita, though a bit more ladylike. Fingerthickness, so a good smoke never the less.
A box of fifty in California would cost slightly less than $190.00.
One every shabbes, in lieu of havdala.

Search This Blog

A LACK OF PROPELLANT

Rereading my old posts reminds me that I used to be immoderate. And at times over the top. I've calmed down and grown up since then. Now...