Friday, May 05, 2006

GUEST POST FROM MORDECHAI N.

I am pleased to provide space for a very good friend to guest post below. While Mordechai and I disagree on almost everything, that has not been an obstacle to a deep and enduring friendship for several years, and I respect his point of view.

He is in town for a week, and what better time for a guest post than now?

For reasons which should be obvious, Mordechai will only use his first name, and not mention the community in which he lives. I have encouraged him to put some of his thoughts into a blog - a suggestion I hope he will take seriously.

---B.O.T.H.

-------------------------------------------------------------

GUEST POST:

Rabbosai, there is too much chillul Hashem on the internet. This is why our rabbis have decided that no one should have a compiuter in the home. But should a compiuter even be used for scholarly purposes? It has been said that there is much yiddishkeit available on the internet, and I have seen translations, very good translations, of many precious works on web pages. But the internet is more than just goodness - there is much violence, obscenity, and disturbing webpages. The bad outweighs the good.


If cigarettes and smoking are dangerous, if drugs and pictures of obscenity are dangerous, then how much more so uncontrolled surfing?
It is much better that people should engage in study in a controlled environment, without the disrtraction of email and computers.

One who while studying is distracted is in the greatest danger.
Many younger men have nearly destroyed their lives by engaging in compiuter. Something which which is so obviously bittul Torah and avodah zarah should not be encouraged. Please join me in speaking out against this - COMPIUTERS ARE DANGEROUS, and their daily use should be strongly spoken against.


There is precedent: in the past, when there were arguments over philosophy, the compromise reached was that men under twenty five years of age should not read science and metaphysics. This was a wise decision. Children do not have the wisdom and the experiance to distinguish between truth, truth, and falsehood.

I thank my host for allowing me to write this on his blog.

Mordechai.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have started my own blog.

I will sometimes use it to try to put into writing what I think about what I read.

I will use English.

http://kollelrocks.blogstream.com/

The back of the hill said...

Mordche, 't zou mischien beter lezen als ge spellcheck gebruikt.

Bijvoorbeeld, eerst text in word schrijven, dan onder tools spelling and grammar kiezen.

Dit heeft ook het voordeel dat ge niet per ongeluk iets post voordat ge met het schrijven klaar zijt.

Anonymous said...

Beste Bar, zoudge dan de spellingsvergissingen voor mij kunnen verbetereren?

Bert said...

Shalom BOTH,

Some time ago I put a link to your weblog on my blog, Dutchblog Israel.
Please have a look on my blog and, if you do not dislike its contents too much, put a link to it on yours.

Yours,

Bert de Bruin ( Yonathan Dror Bar-On )
Dutchblog Israel: http://yonathanbert.blogspot.com

The back of the hill said...

Shalom Bert,

I've added you to the blogroll (which I have also updated with a few others, and alphabetized).

"DUTCHBLOG ISRAEL (please note: not all posts are in Dutch, not all posts are in English; but if you read both, you are doubly blessed). "

Search This Blog

WELL, HOW DID I GET HERE?

There is an air of distraction to the streets in C'town nowadays. People seem lost in thought, absent minded, somewhat out of it. And mo...