Sunday, July 01, 2012

TEMPTING LUNCH

The waitress seated me at the same table as an old gentleman eating roast pork over rice (燒肉飯). The table was large enough for twelve, and it made sense to put the lone lunch eaters there.
Later we were joined by one more.

The elderly gentleman did not finish all his rice, but he clearly enjoyed every scrumptious bit of pork. Judging by his contentment, I'll have to try it the next time.
The rice porridge I had was very lovely too.

I enjoy being in a clean spacious place with good-natured people. The wait-staff can best be described as attentively casual - efficient and capable, but not pushy or rigid.
It wasn't crowded in mid-afternoon - there were a number of empty tables - but it was never-the-less bustling. They're open from eight in the morning till nine in the evening, and they have a larger selection of jook than many other places.
I wonder how evenings are.


SAAM CHOI YAT TONG 三菜一湯

Like a number of other Chinatown places it has a set-priced three items (any choice) plus soup deal going. That, really, would be a perfect dinner, but only if there was another person to eat with.
Arrangements like that are actually perfect for small families, and I've seen people happily scarfing down an array of hometown dishes at the place on Broadway, as well as in the small eatery near the park that also boasts three plus soup.
It would be too much for one person.

The menu does not mention steamed eggs (蒸水蛋), but I'm sure they could do it. They've also got things listed on the wall that aren't on the menu, such as 薑葱田雞 and 龍蝦. The latter is quite affordable, only about seventeen dollars.
The roast duck (燒鴨) is probably significantly better than the place on Jackson Street, as that is what most of the people clustered up front were purchasing.
It looks like it would be an ideal place for food and conversation.
I seriously need to take a university student there.
If I can find one. They're rather rare.
And likely to be skittish.

In the meantime, I'll continue exploring their selection of jook and rice plates.
As well as the noodles.

No, I'm not going to tell you the name or where it's located.
It's one of those places I'm saving for myself.
And perhaps sometime someone else.


*      *      *      *      *      *

Smoked a post-lunch pipe on a bench in a quiet alleyway in the Financial District. It's a nice place to dream for a few hours on a weekend.
Almost nobody passed through, and with hardly any traffic on the nearby streets, I could hear birds in the trees on the next block.
All in all a very pleasant summer day.
A badger by himself.












==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

SAN FRANCISCO IS TOO DANGEROUS!

A few years ago, my regular care physician and I had an informative talk about kangkong (ipomoea aquatica), sidetracking from my tobacco use...