JEWS MARCH FOR PRIDE
And yes, the Bay Area Jewish Community by-and-large supports the struggle for equality of Gays and other Consonants.
So does this blogger, by the way.
This was the first year that all Jewish groups in the parade marched under the same group nomen: Jews March For Pride.
And these are my somewhat sour notes about that masochistic exercise. There will be more later.
1. Remember to leave the Glock at home next year too.
2. I really hope Ralph's head explodes before then.
3. Kate Raphael Bender is in remission from cancer. All good things must come to an end.
4. Apparently the all-inclusive Jewish community umbrella extends to those people so desperate to get away from Judaism that they not only collaborate with Jew-haters and anti-Semitic organizations, but also actively seek Israel's complete elimination as an independent state.
5. In the Bay Area, inclusion of a pro-Israel group requires demanding that they be on their best behaviour.
6. It also means that you can safely allow the Israel-haters to march with you - having included the pro-Israel group gives balance, and you've made sure that your donkey is covered.
7. Really, keep the Glock at home. Don't even load it, just leave it in the box. Lest a natural urge to go Dutch on some of the donkey-holes among the Political Jews(*) gain the upper hand. In the blah lukewarmth of the moment.
Yes, I know that being Jewish in the San Francisco Bay Area suggests to many people here that one should make nice-nice, not make waves, smile prettily at the Gentiles, and timidly hope that every nasty storm somehow magically dissipates. This is the place where people come to avoid their relatives, get away from their own kind, make new lives, and chuck all that depressing cultural baggage out the window. Long-time residents often become spongy cottonwool because of their urge not to make waves or offend their politically correct fellow travelers.
The Bray made mention on Dov's blog of 'havdala consciousness'. Despite the loud groans from many commenters, and my own cocked eye-brow at that time, I'm beginning to think that what the Bay Area Jewish Community needs is a strong infusion of precisely that.
Plus assertiveness training and pointers on handguns.
Political Jews (PJs) are those Jews who are paid for being Jewish. Usually they work for well-known Jewish organizations advancing various Jewish causes or programs. Strictly nine to five. Their involvement in political action, promotion of Jewish causes and issues, and even loyalty to Jewishness itself, is also strictly nine to five. Their ideological commitment in any direction at all is .... nine to five. They are adept at NOT making waves. They are also very good at making Gentiles feel blandly cheerful about those Jews. Not necessarily warm and fuzzy - actual Jewishness still seems to discomfit a surprising number of Gentiles - but blandly cheerful.
I have been told that they are worthwhile people and serve a worthwhile purpose.
Remember, dude, keep the Glock at home. It ain't worth it. Just leave it there.
Labels: Street Zionism 2009