Thursday, June 04, 2009

LET'S NOT SCREAM FOR A WHILE

Personally, I'm waiting for the dust to settle before I'll even think of reading, let alone commenting on, Obama's Cairo speech.

What matters is not what he actually said, but how everybody rips it apart to support their own conceptions. I want to see what the Arab world will say, and more importantly, what they will do in response.

Especially the Saudis. That's probably the only Arab country where the reaction counts.

Egypt will toe the American line, barely, no matter what the American line is - they cannot survive without American cash, but all they care about is the perception of balsy independent-mindedness among their friends.

[That explains their perverse political inclinations and absurdist religious commentators. Rank idiocy standing in for actual intellectual freedoms.]


On a cynical side note, I'm willing to bet that the newsmedia in Europe will have a take on his speech that makes no sense whatsoever. Their realities are different; not all realities are equal.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Short and sweet:

Up thiers!

Bob

Search This Blog

A LACK OF PROPELLANT

Rereading my old posts reminds me that I used to be immoderate. And at times over the top. I've calmed down and grown up since then. Now...