Wednesday, January 22, 2014

PASSION, READING, AND COOKIES!

As some of you are aware, this blogger joined OK Cupid a while back. Many years ago, when I signed up on a dating site as Borat Sagdaiev, the results were stellar. Every week someone new deeply desired to meet an ultra butch and sweatily masculine demon lover. I never responded to any of them, of course, because it had been meant as a joke, and at the time I was in a relationship which I hoped would last forever. No doubt they've all found the Kazakh husband of their dreams by now.
When I signed up for OK Cupid, I did not have any expectation that much would come of it, as I realized that Borat was in all ways a more exciting person than I could ever be.
Even if entirely fictional.
Mmmm, mankini!

Recently I browsed through profiles.

Nobody on OK Cupid is even remotely interesting.

They've all written the same boring inoffensive bland stuff.


I have too, but we're not talking about me.


Everybody on OK Cupid is a keen traveler who loves food and movies or music, cares deeply about her job, friends, and family, and has or doesn't have a dog and a cat. They're committed, loyal, and are fascinated by different cultures, languages, and hanging out on Friday night with co-workers, homies, and fellow members of the choral society.
Or watching teevee with someone special.
Some of them drink (socially), smoke (never), and have one coy little secret that they are embarrassed to share with everyone on OK Cupid (which they do). OMG.

They like (or don't) Chinese food, Thai food, Korean food, Italian food, French food, Japanese food, Vegetarian muck, Vietnamese noodle soup, and anything ethnic. Including Mexican. Or not.

Some of them have jobs they hate. Some of them just love their work.
A number of them are thinking of going back to school. Either before they ever have kids, or after the grandchildren move out.

Quite a few are spiritual, funny, and creative.
Many of them have favourite teams.
And a number love to laugh.

They are ALL undoubtedly nice likable people, and very unremarkable.
This is uninspiring! There is not a single one whose profile is actually compelling enough that I would ever want to meet them (other than perhaps the tattooed Slavic single mother with a dog).

Or the bespectacled person committing a very proper act with a large stuffed Totoro doll, but I'm not sure she really exists.


4. 3. 5. 1. 2. 6.

So I've taken it upon myself to write some imaginary profiles that show possibly intriguing aspects of single women. Different personalities, with far more interesting details than ninety nine out of ten people on OK Cupid. But I'll simply name them all "Somethingsaurus", because you wouldn't believe how many woman are something plus saurus.
Snackasaurus, Laughasaurus, Joggasaurus, Teddybearosaurus.
PhdSuperSignificantIntellectualYogasaurus.
HelloKitty&Candysaurus.


SOMETHINGSAURUS No. 1.
"I'll do nearly anything for sushi! Including unspeakable acts and watching your damned Forty Niners, even though I absolutely HATE football. Though if you force me, it will cost you A LOT of fish!
All I want is a neatly dressed recently bathed man who can sit at the sushi counter with me while I stuff my face, who won't say "I'll simply have some of yours". Get your own. And on second thought, screw the Niners.

Let's eat."

SOMETHINGSAURUS No. 2.
"We shall galumph over the hills and wastelands of San Francisco, howling at the moon! We are the wolves of inner-city decay, we are the rampaging beasts of suburban nightmare. Let us chivy tourists and snap at their heels. Then let us passionately undulate and wriggle like sex-starved weasels, if the time seems opportune for that kind of stuff.
And if it's not too beastly cold."

SOMETHINGSAURUS No. 3.
"F*ck travelling together to exotic lands. Let's read books instead. We'd do that in the air-conditioned hotel room in Buenos Aires anyway, might as well do exactly the same thing here. You quietly in your corner, and I in mine.
Then, innocently, we will snake out our legs, and twiddle and interlock naked toes."

SOMETHINGSAURUS No. 4.
"Help me mind this horrid cat. And bring over some fresh apples.
You get the lumpy chair. Thank you."

SOMETHINGSAURUS No. 5.
"Are your habits eccentric enough to appall my parents? Mom's a spiritual vegetarian, my dad is wishy-washy, politically correct, and grows his own wheatgrass. Both of them hate smoking, liquor, burgers, and caffeinated beverages. Pick me up for a date wearing a fur coat and smoking a cigar, and give me an extra tall double latte instead of flowers. We'll have the bestest time! No weirdoes, please."

SOMETHINGSAURUS No. 6.
"Morose antisocial person wishes to be left alone. Can you do that?
And can you also leave a bowl of soup outside my bedroom door?
I probably wouldn't mind exploiting your body until you fall asleep once in a blue moon, provided you don't bring up angst, existentialism, religion, or your job, while we have post-coitus cigarettes afterwards. I really don't want to hear about your job and your aspirations. Or butterflies. I hate butterflies.
Sometimes I'm affectionate."


Personally, I feel that these profiles are more honest and realistic than anything on the dating sites of the world. Not necessarily alluring and inviting, but never the less infinitely more enchanting than any amount of poofle on OK Cupid. These are women with whom one could easily get along, and if after hot beverages and bund cake down at the coffee shop nothing further happened, one might still be friends, and say something like "let's go eat" occasionally.


The first two impress as delightfully wicked, numbers three and four sound both practical-minded and extremely charming, and five and six are possibly dangerous, in an innocent girlish sort of way.

If I saw any of these profiles, I would definitely write.
And then hope that something good came of it.
I could even put up with the horrid cat.
Or the appalling parents.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:

LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you tried writing your own profile and see who answers? Open yourself to whatever the universe throws at you. How bad could it be? At one point or another, the universe may run out of projectiles.

Anonymous said...

This guy found a way to make it work

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/genius-okcupid-hack-led-true-love-212911321--abc-news-topstories.html


You are a single man in San Francisco. I can't believe its this hard for you.

The back of the hill said...

To Anonymous at 7:32 PM,

1). I would rather sneer at OK Cupid than do the serious analyses necessary to make what is fundamentally a flawed idea work.

2). Single man who is very picky.

Did I ever mention that life is too short to drink Starbucks? How about eating canned catfood, when lobster is not on the table?


The back of the hill said...

To Anonymous at 7:22 PM,

I did write my own profile, and as I mentioned, like the majority it was 'boring inoffensive bland stuff'.

Also, this blog is rather like a profile. Albeit a rather long-winded one.

The back of the hill said...

If I actually wrote a profile that I could dare to place on a dating site, it might be something like this:

"Please share crisp apples and toesies with me, as we contemplate dinner. Then when the steamed fish comes, our chop sticks will battle over the carcass till there's nothing left but bones and fins. We'll leave the restaurant happy, swacked to the gills on Chinese restaurant tea, and wander back across Nob Hill, occasionally growling at tourists and convention visitors. This is our town; we will eat well, explore our neighborhood, and share books with each other. And, when it's cold, a nice warm blanket."

"Smoky Dutch-American seeks perspicacious and not very social companion who sneers at vegans and meaningful crap. And likes tea."

"BTW, glasses are sexy. I wear them. Do you?"

I have a suspicion that that might get me nothing but tattooed vegans, as well as bucket loads of serious artistic types. Rather than a short shy sweet intelligent woman with a lovable dreaminess to her eyes when she eats.

Badger seeks a magic weasel.
Good weasels are hard to find.

And their nearest and dearest probably disapprove of badgers.

Anonymous said...

Try the real profile of the real you. See what happens. Whats there to lose?

The back of the hill said...

OK Cupid profile updated, with more of the unvarnished me.

We'll see what happens.

Probably nothing

Anonymous said...

When lobster isn't on the menu, chicken tikka might work just fine. It takes an open mind.

Congratulations for updating the profile. If you haven't already, add that you have never been married, and have no children- some women might be scared of a 50something year old man because they assume he comes with a brood of part time children.

On the other hand, if you are interested in someday having children, or at least are open to that idea, mention that as well.

You can do this.

Anonymous said...

When lobster isn't on the menu, chicken tikka might work just fine. It takes an open mind.

Congratulations for updating the profile. If you haven't already, add that you have never been married, and have no children- some women might be scared of a 50something year old man because they assume he comes with a brood of part time children.

On the other hand, if you are interested in someday having children, or at least are open to that idea, mention that as well.

You can do this.

The back of the hill said...

August 10th., 2015.

It is over half a year since I updated the profile. So far, nothing yet. Precisely as I expected.

Search This Blog

IN TUNE WITH WILD LIFE

That noise outside while I was drifting awake? Turned out to be the streetsweeping vehicle. Not actually an owl. But it had sounded ike an o...