Thursday, May 24, 2012

MOSS INSIDE THE MIND

Sometimes a song sticks in your head like a dried brown smear on the sidewalk, becoming "fragrant" once more after rain, when you had long forgotten it. One such melody is Rhyfelgyrch Gwŷr Harlech, which everyone remembers from that movie about the battle at Roarke's Drift.
Famously, it is also played for graduation at the Defence Services Academy in Maymyo ("Pyin U Lwin").
I've been hearing it all day. Broken record.

Customer calls to complain about their invoice - pum, pum pum pum, pum pum pum pum.
I'm on hold waiting for a delinquent customer to remember where they hid the laptop on which they installed Quicken - pum, pum pum pum, pum pum pum pum.
Workmen drill through the outer wall - pum, pum pum pum, pum pum pum pum.
Washing hands - pum, pum pum pum, pum pum pum pum.
Interspersed with Zulu warchants.

Pum, pum pum pum, pum pum pum pum.

It was playing in my mind's ear as I got off the bus this morning, when I saw one of the two most beautiful women I have seen today. More beautiful than many other women who have passed my eyes all week.
Beautiful, because she was crying.
Please understand that it is not tears that made her beautiful, but the fact that her face was alive, and consequently entrancing.  Her anguished weeping made me want to reach out and pat her on the shoulder reassuringly, but one cannot just touch unhappy strangers, no matter how much one wants to.
Darn it, there's that tune again.

Pum, pum pum pum, pum pum pum pum.

The other most beautiful woman passed along while I was smoking a pipe at the wall around noon-time. That song was playing in my head, so I was not paying attention to the conversation of the other tobacco fiends.
Pum pum pum ......
In consequence of which, I alone noticed the happy woman with a smile on her face running down the street. Like the sad woman several hours previously, she was on her cell-phone.
I'm guessing that both women had been talking to the man in their lives.
This morning he was a thorough bastard, a real cad.
But the one later must have been an absolute doll.
His girlfriend was thrilled to meet him for lunch.
She's a gorgeous woman.

I cannot remember anything about her except the radiant smile, and the warm warm eyes.
Couldn't tell you what she was wearing, or how tall she is.
Her build and body type did not register.

There's something about faces that are alive that makes them enchanting.
Intelligence, mental engagement, emotional vibrancy.
It's far better than make-up.
Incomparable.

Pum, pum pum pum, pum pum pum pum.

There's that song again.
It's stirring.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

1 comment:

Eric said...

Let me guess...
This song, right?

I'll grant you it has a catchy rythm.

Search This Blog

PLANS. I HAVE PLANS!

It takes about five hours for the twitchy ache in my lower legs from the amlodipine besylate to diminish sufficiently that I can sleep. I ti...