Tuesday, June 17, 2008

NEW TAGS

For the benefit of my readers I have created some new tags which now show up under the relevant posts - food related tags. I figgered you might be more picky than the previous two catch-alls ('FOOD', 'Recipes') implied.

[Yeah, I know. Took me a while to grasp your complexity, didn't it? Sorry.]


The new tags are:
Chinese food, Dutch food, Indian food, Indo food, Jewish food.


Explanation: Chinese food includes the dishes of Chinese origin that are actually in the Indo category as well as pure Chinese; Indian food also applies to Parsee and Pakistani dishes but not to Gujerati muck, as that is well-nigh inedible; Indo food is both common Indonesian as well as regional; Jewish food may include some Dutch food; and all of it consists of stuff that I consider particular to my life and my table.
Dutch food is Dutch food.

[As yet there are no tags for Gujerati food (so far that subject has not been discussed), Surinamese food (only one or two recipes noted at this point), or African food - I assume you already know how to cook a zebra (I wrote about it a while back), and nyembe and saka saka were mentioned here a long time ago too (search this blog for saka saka if you are curious). With the exception of Gujerati food, there will be tags for these categories in the future.]


Mutanjan and Muzaffar are under Indian food, along with Haleem, Nahari, and Dhansak Masala. Roast duck is under Chinese food, but also under My food, along with oil balls and a lot of herring - which you will also find under Dutch food and Jewish food. Sweet soy sauce can be found in Indo food, along with some strange fish. It's all one happy Venn diagram.


I encourage you to happily click on the tags to find everything in that category.


5 comments:

Spiros said...

No "Road Kill" tag?

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm. Road Kill.
Have I shared with you my favorite preparation for dead on the road Raccoon?

Roasted Raccoon and Yams

~ 1 raccoon
Make sure it is dead before removing it from roadway.
Remove the fur, face, bones and wash out the gravel/ dirt/road debris carefully

~ 1 tsp salt
~ 1/4 tsp pepper
~ 1/8 tsp sage
~ 2 tbsp lemon juice
~ 4 large yams, peeled and quartered
~ 1/4 cup brown sugar
~ 1/2 cinnamon
~ 1/8 tsp ginger


Place the raccoon in a large pot with the peppers. Cover with water, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.

Remove raccoon from the pot and place on a rack in a roasting pan.

Pour the lemon juice on the raccoon. Sprinkle on the salt, pepper and sage.

Place the yams in the pan around the raccoon. Add 1 cup of water.

Mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon and ginger.
Sprinkle on the yams.

Cover and bake at 325 degrees for 2 hours or until the meat is crisp and brown.

Transfer to an attractive serving platter, and garnish with roasted vegetables.
Thems eats.

Makes a nice alternative entree for Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

One observes that H.B. has now found an aspect of my country of origin, a permanent and effective boycott of which, by H.B. is most likely...

bon appetit!
Graham

The back of the hill said...

Good heavens, Graham, you're a Gujerati?

I had no idea.

Anonymous said...

Du liebe Scholli,,, H.B

no I am from Plymouth
Gujeratis are from Wolverhampton

The distance between these towns is small in US terms - but in midget-size Europe it can be worlds apart

Starry-Gazie Pie or Pasties, clotted cream washed down with a firkin of scrumpy anyone?

Graham

Search This Blog

PLANS. I HAVE PLANS!

It takes about five hours for the twitchy ache in my lower legs from the amlodipine besylate to diminish sufficiently that I can sleep. I ti...