Wednesday, October 03, 2007

THE GENTLE BREEZE OF MANFRED GERSTENFELD

A correspondent forwards a link to an interesting article:
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3455441,00.html

Quote:
"Gerstenfeld, a senior member of the Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs (JCPA), is the creator of the "Bad News About the Netherlands" project, an initiative he said was aimed at showing Israel's media warriors that attack is the best form defense. "


Though Gerstenfeld comes across as strident and combative, which is unfortunate, I applaud his endeavor.

While living in the Netherlands, I was told regularly that my country (the US) was a horrible fascistoid entity, daemonic and vile, filled with the ignorant rejects of Europe, and that I was so lucky to live in the most blessed and civilized country on the entire face of the planet (the Netherlands).

[That was, of course, why so many poor fuddled refugees (Jews, Indos, Surinamers, Turks, Maghrebis, eccentric Yankees......) were so desperate to live in 'Olland.]

Not exactly the most pleasing picture, nor the most accurate.

There is a drang in Dutch newspapers and webfora to stereotype - Americans are stupid, vulgar, and cruel, Israelis are violent and fanatic, Germans are humourless and dull, Belgians are morons, and rather unclean, the French are arrogant and filthy, the Italians.....
Jews, in the Dutch press, are usually triumphalist complainers. Plus all the usual stereotypes.

Whereas the Dutch, of course, are tolerant sober superhumans.

News "facts" framed in a way that pleases readers become poisoned fairy tales.
Everyone loves fairy tales.

So, I actually like Gerstenfeld's stridency and combativeness.
I find it most refreshing.
And I am not easily refreshed.

------------------------------------

Note: I've actually seen mention of Manfred Gerstenfeld's noble endeavor a few times already. I first ran across his name four or five years ago.
For background and biodata: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manfred_Gerstenfeld

This article:
http://www.jcpa.org/phas/phas-gerstenfeld-1-f05.htm
is as good an introduction as any to his oevre.

He is at his very best when he tilts against the windmill of Dutch self-righteousness. But that just may be my appreciation speaking.

Further note: Another article about Gerstenfled's cheese-baiting can be found here:
http://israel-palestijnen.blogspot.com/2007/08/slecht-nieuws-over-nederland-in-isral.html
It is from this blog:
http://israel-palestijnen.blogspot.com/
Which appears to be an impartial and balanced source of material about the conflict between Israel and the Arabs, among other things.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

In my congregation we often talk about the changed attitude of the Dutch press towards Yisrael. And also, unfortunately, how good Palestinian propaganda works in Holland. We decided to defend Yisrael always and everwhere, and we try to get our news from Yisraelian newspapers and from friends.

When I read your article I thought of a monument in Amsterdam, which expressed Jewish gratitude towards the Dutch for the so called help Jews got during WW II. History tells something else, generally spoken.
Though I do critize America from time to time, you are the best friend Yisrael has. (Yes, Anonymous)

Anonymous said...

I apprciate the comment and feel the same lemuel.
KR

Search This Blog

SAN FRANCISCO IS TOO DANGEROUS!

A few years ago, my regular care physician and I had an informative talk about kangkong (ipomoea aquatica), sidetracking from my tobacco use...