Wednesday, September 02, 2026

AND NOT A PAPER CUP IN SIGHT

All you are allowed to bring into Hong Kong is one open pack of cigarettes with one smoke missing, OR two cigars of any type, OR one opened tin of pipe tobacco. Obviously they have cigarettes because many Chinese smoke like chimneys, and there is a very well-developed trade in Havanas as well as commodious lounges wherein to partake thereof. Pipe tobacco might be an issue. More research is required. In any case, not planning to go there soon. Most of the year it's hot in Hong Kong. November through March is just about right.
From May through October it's rather beastly for an awd fossil with PAD.
And typhoon season as well. I don't mind typhoons.

I mind heat.

Here in San Francisco I frequently bellyache about the temperatures from summer through October. Although many people I know, ruddy deviants with poor judgement, will often say that they love warm days when it's over eighty degrees.

This came up conversationally because I'm thinking of visiting HK sometime next year. Especially if the trip to the plantation in Honduras falls through. As it did before.


Today it got into the low sixties in the city.
Which was just about perfect.
When I saw the price for milk tea at the place I thought of going to for the first time in half a decade, I was utterly aghast. Nearly twice what the bakery I no longer frequent charges.
Good nei ge lord, you folks have lost your minds!
我唔係個蠢嘅遊客!

Much later at the bar I had two cups of tea.
Significantly better company too.
It was almost empty.


The bookseller has backslid, and has fallen into his old passion again. Pinball. I would not be surprised if we eventually read about him habituating dark Tenderloin dives and rubbing elbows with hardened pinball sharks, perhaps even selling his priceless collection of taxidermied roadkill and vermin for rolls of quarter to sate his addiction.
Which would be sad, but what can you do?

He might even start hanging out with Texans and other lowlifes.
Trailer park denizens and Slavs in track suits.
I am again utterly aghast!



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

AND NOT A PAPER CUP IN SIGHT

All you are allowed to bring into Hong Kong is one open pack of cigarettes with one smoke missing, OR two cigars of any type, OR one opened ...