Thursday, December 28, 2023

THE STUFF IN THE SHADOWS

Lunch time was rainy. So there were fewer people at the chachanteng than normal, and it was pleasantly peaceful. Afterward I stood a while under a nearby awning with my pipe before heading over to Stockton Street. Which was not crowded. The rain rather put a damper on people's out door activity. But it was crowded at the dried seafood place.

A middle-aged Caucasian man stands under awnings of shuttered stores smoking a pipe in Chinatown without exciting comment. A younger woman might severely lift some eyebrows.
I feel sorry for the female pipesmoker, who has to hide beyond the edge of vision.


Many of my fellow pipesmokers claim that this weather is perfect for pipe smoking. They love nothing better than lighting up and looking out over the autumnal view. Yes, but you are male, as am I. And you're remembering being able to smoke indoors. At the very least, you have an awning. A younger female pipesmoker has to think in terms of a tarpaulin, somewhere away from foot traffic. Like the middle of a city park, for instance, and even then she'll be bothered by non-smoking harridans telling her that she's totally ruining their day (they're in the middle of a downpour, for heavens sakes!), and a crazed street person will stick his head under the edge and demand "got a cigarette?". Or steal the tarp.

Heavy rain coat, stout umbrella, deserted alley, portico of an empty building.
If she perseveres, she deserves hazard pay.
THERE'S A TARPAULIN SOMEWHERE IN THE MIDDLE DISTANCE


I have no such problem. But I sympathize. I fondly imagine that all over the city there are ladies hiding their indulgence from their kinfolk doing their best to remain invisible.
And I promise that if I encounter one, I will treat her to coffee.
Or any hot beverage of her choosing.


When I got to the bakery I was surprised to find so few people there. Dawdled an hour before heading out into the rain with another pipeful. That egg tart was dee-licious! Nice cup of milk tea. I'm guessing nonsmokers are soft, and easily scared by a little moisture. Even tourists visiting the city. Neither of the two elderly gentleman I expected to see showed up.

Maybe they were busy sheltering a woman pipesmoker.
Chivalry in action.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

LATE SEASONAL RAINS

Because the teevee is out in the backroom, some of the soon-to-be-decomposed gentlemen in who infest the place had a mediocre day yesterday ...