Monday, June 22, 2020

IT'S TIME FOR COCKTAILS!

Two of the nicest people on Facebook aver that this is the time for a mint julep. Which is a "cocktail" made with muddled sugar or simple syrup, crushed ice, Bourbon, and fresh mint. Now identified with Southern Heritage and the horse races. Older versions used rum instead of whiskey, and probably date from the day and age when liquor made locally was quite undrinkable. Since then, American distilling has improved.

Not being a Southerner, I am not obligated to like this thing.

And in San Francisco summer is for Irish coffee.

As we speak, I am wearing a sweater.

And having a hot cup of tea.


Years ago, I had a brief affection for Manhattans, from seeing the Simpson's episode in which Bart ends up in the Legitimate Businessmen's Club mixing cocktails for Fat Tony and his gang, and for about a year I would teach local bartenders how to make a Henry Darger, that being a drink I had invented to get a rise out of people.

Henry Darger, it should be remembered, was the outsider artist who made a name for himself after his death. An inspiration to us all.


THE HENRY DARGER COCKTAIL

Two ounces Bourbon, a Maraschino cherry, and a dash of grenadine. Ice cubes, highball glass. Squirt of ginger ale. Two or three drops of bitters optional.


This drink is NOT associated with the Kentucky Derby, but it should be. As well as probably being perfect for New Orleans, and summer cruises.
For some strange reason it never caught on.
I can't figure out why.


I note, by the way, that the Wikipedia article I embedded ("inspiration") says that his magnum opus was 145 pages. Which is probably incorrect, as other sources state that it was over fifteen thousand pages long.

I am not an expert on his work, though, and I do not want to know anyone who is. They'd probably be queer as hell.



This post is for Neil in Washington, and John in Georgia.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

SAN FRANCISCO IS TOO DANGEROUS!

A few years ago, my regular care physician and I had an informative talk about kangkong (ipomoea aquatica), sidetracking from my tobacco use...