Wednesday, August 21, 2019

FISH, WITH AN UMLAUT

This blogger needs someone to eat with. Reason being that I want a fish.
Specifically, "king flower fish" (王花魚 'wong faa yü'), also called "yellow flower fish" (黃花魚 'wong faa yü'), which sounds exactly the same in Cantonese. One of my favourite eateries has pan-seared king flower fish (封煎王花魚 'fung jin wong faa yü') listed on the wall as a special, for those who read Chinese. Which is probably the majority of their customers.
They probably had no idea how to translate it into English.
"Envelope-sealed pan-fry king flower fish"?
It's a yellow croaker.

Envelope-sealed pan-fried; a fairly transparent culinary term.


Enough for two people. Three or four with other dishes. They also have several vegetables on the wall which they haven't translated, very likely for the same reason. And their rendition of 封煎黃花魚 looks like a a variation on 蕃茄煎王花魚 ('faan ke jin wong faa yü'; "tomato panfry king flower fish"), which I saw a recent mother (judging by the Winston Churchill potato look of her infant) happily enjoying the other day. Chompity, chompity.

That women has an appetite.

It's too large for me to eat by myself. I am, therefore, hesitant about ordering it when dining alone. Though I might be forced to do precisely that.

I had grouper chunks and tofu (斑球豆腐 'paan kau dau fu'). It was delicious.
Note that 斑球 is often given as 魚片 ('yü pin'; fish slices).
It's not entirely clear what kind of fish it is.

But I want yellow croaker.


The restaurant is closed on Wednesdays. I am at work Thursday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. which leaves two days to explore their specials.
So, who do I know who eats with chopsticks (and therefore knows not to overturn the fish), also likes either hot sauce or Hong Kong milk tea (or both), and has no yen for sweet'n sour pork or kung pao tofu?
Someone who is NOT my ex.

[If she liked the place, she'd probably drag her beau "Wheelie Boy" there, and good gracious I do not want that at all. He'd probably hate it. Too Chinese.]

Lunch or dinner, Tuesday or Friday.



This is a quandary.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

OR MAYBE YOU ARE A HIPSTER

The first smoke of the day is accompanied by stumbling and dog poo. Not for me, as I am chipper and vibrant with hot strong coffee boiling t...