Saturday, August 24, 2019

A PLACE WITHOUT ASHTRAYS

Do you want a grumpy old coot sitting in the corner of your living room smoking his pipe and being rather anti-social? Of course you don't!
You'll be happy to know that I am not grumpy, and not old.
On the social bit there may be a slight problem.
But I probably won't frighten your dog.


A chachanteng (Hong Kong style restaurant with milk-tea and quick convenient food) is rather like a living room, the major difference being that there are no ashtrays on little tables next to comfy chairs.
In fact, no ashtrays at all.

But it's comfortable environment, good for people watching.
If I tried that in your living room it would disconcert you.

"Why", you might think, "is that weirdo staring at me?"

A sweet and adorable little girl having fried noodles with her grandparents. Her grand dad kept the conversation going, she happily responded, chirping her answers to his questions. An elderly lady enjoying a pork cutlet sandwich with French fries. A business man hurriedly late-lunching on Hai Nan chicken before scarpering. Extremely cheerful party of Toishanese ladies in the other section, whose food I could not see but whose animated conversation came through clearly.

And a young couple enjoying egg tarts.


Young ladies with egg tart crumbs on their face are cute as the dickens.


I wonder if her suitor thought the same and had ordered them especially for that effect? If so, he's a smart man. Even besides the urge to keep her contented.

While there I had a discussion with Ah Ping about foods that are either good for you or harmful. Something about cucumbers and eggplants, which I cannot remember but would ignore anyway, because I have my own goofy unscientific beliefs about such things.

A cucumber looks like a hot dog in bun; therefore it's best with mustard.

Same goes for eggplants, but more so.

Would I lie?



Normally people don't go to a chachanteng for a hamburger (漢堡包 'hon bou baau'), but perhaps they should. It was quite good, and the fries (薯條 'syu tiu') were excellent. Plus they have Sriracha hot sauce.

Homemade pickles for the burger.





==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

THE ROUTE ACROSS THE HILLS

It irritates me to see very large white people in Chinatown. This is probably because I am bigoted against humongous Midwestern heffalumps. ...