Sunday, August 12, 2012

LOOKING FORWARD TO SNACKS

Porcupines and hedgehogs are not the same. From all accounts, porcupines are rather grouchy.
Hedgehogs, on the other hand, make fine companions.
They aren't related to each other.

The first mentioned is an herbivore, meaning it eats nothing but vegetable matter without sauce, spices, or condiments. As with many humans, this makes it unhappy, chronically bad-tempered, and probably leads to loose stools as well as an unpleasant attitude. When they re-incarnate, they become Berkeley Earth Mothers, and insist on sharing their philosophies and profound spirituality with everyone around them.
In lieu of painful barbs.

There are also such people in San Francisco, but not many.
We are far more of a hedgehog kind of place.
Food makes us happy.

Hedgehogs are omnivorous. I've heard they like charsiu (叉燒) and siu-yuk (燒肉), even going so far at times as to devour an entire roast duck a la Cantonaise (火鴨) with their dangerously sharp chopsticks (筷子), but as they are primarily nocturnal (夜行的), I have not myself seen this.
They probably have it delivered in the middle of the night anyway.

This blogger is diurnal, and lacks quils or prickly bits.
I also eat charsiu, siu yuk, and roast duck.
The meaty stuff is great fun.


If a hedgehog is reading this, please know that I will gladly share a table with you. You'll have to get up during the day, however.
I do not know of many places that serve later than nine or ten.
Admittedly, the three items I mentioned refrigerate well.
But other scrumptious things must be eaten fresh.
Jook, cheungfan, hargau, and fupeikuen.
Let me know if you need coffee.
I'll have a pot waiting.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

2 comments:

Spikey said...

What is a fupeikuen?

The back of the hill said...

"What is a fupeikuen? "

A roll of tofu skin around a savoury filling, steamed, frequently after a quick-fry to develop a golden flavour.

For a reasonably full listing of various types of dim sum, see here:
http://atthebackofthehill.blogspot.com/2012/03/dim-sum-kinds-names-pronunciation.html.

Dim sum is seriously good.

Search This Blog

PLANS. I HAVE PLANS!

It takes about five hours for the twitchy ache in my lower legs from the amlodipine besylate to diminish sufficiently that I can sleep. I ti...