Tuesday, June 22, 2010

EAT YOUR ETHICS

Fellow blogger Hamavdil (The Bray of Fundie) wrote:
"I know that I am the boy who cried wolf as I have called for your attention saying "hey come look at me" more times than you'd care to count but TODAY I REALLY mean it.
Please be so kind as to read, comment on, cross-post, spread by email today's post on my blog.

http://innate-differences.blogspot.com/2010/06/holy-rimanover-dinover-otd-crisis-and.html
I really feel as though I've "scooped" something here and that the news needs to be spread. "

[End quote]



IN SHORT

Chaim posits a rather interesting concept - good habits and actions done because one recognizes that they are good (and thus actually merit doing), not because anybody else recognizes that one does them - but he also suggests that diet (and not just food-diet) contributes strongly to doing good/being good/thinking good.

Ignore, for the time being, that precisely that would exclude things much loved by many Gentiles - Jews think of those foods differently, and consequently if they actually desire them, do so in conflict with their "nature" (or their nurture, if you don’t hold by certain concepts).


Hamavdil also writes:
" ... this is not an appeal for promoting the Hekhsher Tzedek but a call to parents of school age children in particular to improve their business ethics for to what avail is a steak purchased from an "Ethical" meat-packer if the dollars used to purchase it were obtained through a Ponzi Scheme?"
[End quote]

Read here and discuss, zeit azoy git.


As usual, if you need a quick and dirty explanation of Yeshivish vocabulary items, feel free to ask.

Please note that this blogger himself does not connect treif (strictly in the food-related meaning of the term) with shlechte middos.
Though, if you hold by kashrus (and knowingly eat nishtkashrusdikke substantsiyen), it very well might be.

No comments:

Search This Blog

THE ADDENDUM AT TEA

Tea time, as regular readers know, is very important to me. But instead of going to one of my regular places I gave it a miss today. I just ...