Tuesday, July 12, 2016

IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER

A conversation with a friend and fellow pipe smoker the other day lead me to realize that we had certain tastes and sensitivities in common. Not so much a match, as an overlap of interests in a Venn diagram.

It strikes me that it might be a good idea to list my various interests and fondnesses, to see if anything can be deduced therefrom, and whether any conclusions and thoughts spring to mind as a result.

As it comes to mind ...


INDIAN FOOD
Good lord yes. Bring on the nimboo achar, phul ghobi masala, and flaky kulcha. Predates my involvement with an Indian restaurant, survived frequent exposure to Punjabis and Gujus, and still continues.
Sarson da saag aur makki di roti.
Sabse achcha!

CHINESE FOOD
Steamed pork patty, stirfried stalky mustard greens, and something very fishy. Perhaps dried fish, perhaps shrimp paste, or a steamed fresh fish.
Or sauteed clams and mussels.

CHINESE SEAL SCRIPT
I am rather proud of my ability to read the ancient forms and analyze their derivation. For a while I carved signature seals, but I haven't done so in a long while.

CHINESE CALLIGRAPHY
Not horrible at it, but not any good either. I suppose I should practise a lot more. My writing hand is pretty decent, and I write better than most.

BADGERS, BATS, RATS, AND WEASELS
PLUS CROWS & PARROTS
Animals that act intelligent or soulful always deserve attention. For some reason dogs and cats tend to think the same about me.
Which I find suspect.

MILK TEA, KUNG FU TEA, AND JUST TEA
Yes, I have a collection of I-Hsing teapots, including a couple of precious antiques. On a daily basis I am high as a kite by noon.
White tea, semi-ferments, and darker bohea.

PIPES AND PIPE TOBACCO
There is a deep-seated appeal in certain fragrances, and just sniffing the bowl of a pipe that has been cleanly used can bring up moods. It's an aesthetic thing involving the eye, the hand, and the nose. Ancient briar, well-aged tobacco, and a layer of reverie laid over the moment.

There is something sexual about the fecund smell of fermenting leaf.

POTTERY AND PORCELAIN
In the quiet of the night you can hear the celadon make pingy sounds, sometimes even years after it came out of the kiln. But there are also wonderful blues, and creamy green glazes, as well as Japanesy effects with Sung dynasty antecedents. No, not so much into oxblood.
But oil-spot and hare's fur can be wonderful.

BOOKS AND LITERATURE
Having a personal library gives one a sense of certainty and security. Some English literature, some Dutch literature, some poetry in various languages, plus many reference works, dictionaries, and art picture books.
And naturally a slightly excessive amount of Manga.
Some of which is nicely silly.

DRAFTING EQUIPMENT
There is a particular smell to the metal alloys once used in precision equipment, as well as a pleasure in handling. Sometimes it's very nice just to open up the cases and look at the arrayed drop bow pens, proportional dividers, scales, and compasses. Sniff.

SPICES AND INCENSE
Okay, peculiar. That's about all that can be said.
Snow pear wood, cedar, and aquilaria.
Mace, Ceylon cinnamon, cloves.
Saffron, cardamon.

SAYING NASTY THINGS ABOUT REPUBLICANS
Quite an addictive thing. Can't think of any other group that so richly deserves the tongue lash. They are odious.


Well then. I cannot quite see how all of this ties in together. Part of it clearly has to do with my reading in history, part of it certainly comes from thinking with my hands. I am somewhat more into visual stimuli than whatever passes for music, as well obsessed by surfaces and shapes.
The object lust is probably a natural development.

How things look and smell and feel induces shifts in mood.
There is a quietness there, and an emotional balance.
Hold a something in the hand for a while.
Feel it's musicality.


I cannot describe the intensity of a finger-tip touch.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

2 comments:

Dacron said...

Sounds like you got a little bromance going.

The back of the hill said...

Nah. But it is a good set of similarities. More than with those people who smoke aromatics or never clean their pipes.

Search This Blog

SAN FRANCISCO IS TOO DANGEROUS!

A few years ago, my regular care physician and I had an informative talk about kangkong (ipomoea aquatica), sidetracking from my tobacco use...