Thursday, May 12, 2016

THEY ARE SO FULL OF ENERGY!

According to two maps I saw recently, San Francisco is solidly within the range of Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus mosquitoes, which puts us at a higher risk of certain diseases, such as Zika, Dengue, and West Nile. Yet if you step outside, you will scoff. Summer has started early, bringing with it a bone-chilling quality people elsewhere associate with fall and winter. Because of cold winds in late afternoon, the usual volley ball players avoid the Willie 'Woo Woo' Wong Playground.
At least, that's what I think it is.

The only people on the court were three little girls energetically playing in the freezing gale. Cantonese girls are smaller and thinner than white girls of the same age, but clearly much hardier and healthier.

Or at the very least, they are smaller and thinner but hardier and healthier than me.


I should have brought a sweater and a blanket. I could barely smell my own tobacco because my nose was numb.


This is the kind of weather in which you want to hunker down under a feather comforter eating bacon, preferably in front of a roaring fire.

A nice down comforter I've got.

Bacon can be arranged.

No fire place.

Darn.



AFTER WORD

The dinner special yesterday evening at the "Capital Metropolis Dining Establishment" (京都餐館) was steamed chicken chunks flavoured with Lentinula edodes and Chinese sausage: 冬菇臘腸蒸雞 ('dong gu laap cheung jing kai'). Juicy and delicious.

Lunch, which I was far too late to request, had been black pepper beef (黑椒牛肉 'hak jiu ngau yiuk'). One of these days I'll have to get there around noonish.

Lentinula edodes (冬菇) è un fungo basidiomicete di origine Asiatica ed è attualmente il secondo fungo commestibile più consumato al mondo.

I was happy as a clam till I left.

Then the cold air smacked me.

Positively Siberiatic.





==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

1 comment:

The back of the hill said...

Readers, please note: Capital Restaurant is now doing 冬菇腊腸蒸雞翼 ('dong gu laahp cheung jing gai yick'); steamed chicken wings with black mushroom and Chinese sausage slices (for both flavour and aroma).

Search This Blog

IN TUNE WITH WILD LIFE

That noise outside while I was drifting awake? Turned out to be the streetsweeping vehicle. Not actually an owl. But it had sounded ike an o...