Monday, January 04, 2010

MALAYSIAN PURITANS SPOIL NEW YEAR

Fifty-two unmarried couples could face charges of sexual misconduct and jail terms after being caught in hotel rooms by Malaysia's Islamic morality police.
[From the BBC]

SOURCE:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8439899.stm


Quote:
Those detained in the early hours of New Year's Day were mainly students and young factory workers. The Muslim couples are expected to be charged with the offence of close proximity, or Khalwat.
Under Malaysia's Islamic Sharia Law, couples who are not married to each other should not be in a secluded area or confined space, which could give rise to suspicion that they were engaged in immoral acts.

[End quote]


Please note that sharia only applies to people registered as Muslims in Malaysia - normal people can do whatever they want, as long as they do not attempt to convert Muslims, and cringe obediently whenever a Muslim has a hissy fit.
Occasionally the Muslims riot over perceived grievances or small endowments, at which point it is wise for more mature people to take cover.

[Yes, I realize that my comments above are frightfully meanspirited. Tathapi 'ko enti give-a-damn. M'ngade, kabanyean na Muslim-fanatik di Malaysia lang-kaga, kutamto oro adab tja. Atjaranema sametek sehi bangpulak, gatverdamme. Djambiton ite.]


When convicted, the couples will probably receive two years in prison and be forced to pay a fine.
Afterwards, having been persecuted by Islamic authorities, they may wish to apply for asylum elsewhere.
If they do so, we wish them good luck and G-dspeed.

2 comments:

e-kvetcher said...

Of course when I was in Rome about 10 years ago, I got hassled by the hotel because my wife and I have different last names... I can't recall what we had to do to prove we were married (I am sure we didn't have our marriage license with us)

Anonymous said...

nice post. thanks.

Search This Blog

PLANS. I HAVE PLANS!

It takes about five hours for the twitchy ache in my lower legs from the amlodipine besylate to diminish sufficiently that I can sleep. I ti...