Wednesday, April 16, 2008

THIS BLOGGER'S WHAT AND WHY

Some readers of this blog have asked me "are you Dutch or American?"
They have also asked me "are you Jewish or Gentile?"


YES!


Okay, that answer doesn't really clarify things, does it?



MY FATHER'S FAMILYIn the sixteenth century, a refugee from the Spanish Netherlands fled to the north (of the Rhine river) to escape Catholic tyranny.
His grandson, Abraham Pietersen van Deursen of Haarlem emigrated to New Amsterdam shortly after marrying Tryntje Melchiors in 1629. His son Isaac Abrahamsen van Deursen was born in New Amsterdam in 1635.
Four generations later, two of Isaac Abrahamsen's descendants married. Despite one of them having a different surname, they were related to each other and to themselves, due to the custom of New York Dutch to marry among the tribe (and all who are descended from the three thousand Cheeseheads in New Amsterdam in the middle of the seventeenth century are related to each other as a result).

By that time the Dutch Calvinism of the first American generations had weathered somewhat, and other forms of Protestantism had found adherents among those people. Consequently, in addition to Calvinists, there are also Episcopalians in the family woodpile.
[Names like Jacob, Josef, Isaac, Abraham, Enoch, Efraim, David, Saul, Solomon, Selah, Shadrach, Nathan, Benjamin, and others of Tanachic provenance drench the family tree. There's also the occasional Wynand, Gompert, or Teeuwis, but they are swamped by shvatic nomenclature.]

Their grandson ended up in England after World War One, where my uncle and my father were born. Both boys returned to the US with their widowed mother during the depression. My father interrupted his studies at Berkeley to fly a bomber for the Canadians during World War two.



MY MOTHER'S FAMILY
My mother comes from Scotch-Irish Presbyterians (in other words, hard-ass Calvinists from Ulster) who have been in the US for nearly three centuries. Her father, Colonel M., whose family had migrated west from Virginia during the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, married my maternal grandmother when both of them were in Kermanshah (Persia). Both had been with the American Red Cross aid contingent to the Russians during the war, and fled south after the Bolsheviks took over.
[I possess a lovely photo of a group of gaunt men in a mixture of Russian and American uniforms standing together with glasses lifted toasting the newlyweds. Several of them seem smaller than their cavalry swords. They are very thin.]

Colonel M. was stationed in Germany during the early twenties, where my mother was born. They returned to the US in the thirties, and lived in Santa Barbara and San Francisco.
Colonel M. was stationed at the Presidio during WWII, my mother joined the Waves (and was called up again during the Korean war).

My maternal-grandfather retired in the sixties; for several years thereafter he could still be found at the Officer's Club having a cocktail in the early evening. He passed away in the mid-seventies.


MY PARENTS
My father met my mother in Berkeley after the war. After a very long courtship about which I will tell you nothing, my parents married and moved to southern California. My brother and I were born in the Los Angeles area during the Eisenhower years. All of us moved to the Netherlands in 1962.


ME
By 1968 I was getting beaten up by my classmates in Valkenswaard for being an American, and clobbering them right back for being such pissants. By the time the Vietnam war ended I had few friends among the locals - notable exceptions being Dutch Jews, Dutch Indos, and other trans-nationals - and several enemies.
The boy-scout troop to which I unwillingly (!) belonged consisted almost entirely of religious and ethnic bigots with a sharpened talent for cruelty and mob-behaviour. I do not remember any of their names, but I keenly remember their brutish and depraved natures. None of those people were truly committed, however - it takes more balls than are possessed by your average pissant to vigorously pursue enmity when the object of that enmity fights back and is willing to fight dirty.

In high school I got along far better with the girls than the boys.
I particularly remember Bertje Clerk (very intelligent blonde girl, petite), Babs DeWaard (a small bright brunette with lovely eyes), and Uki Schneider (blonde, elfin, angelic - her boyfriend was an Indo with a devilish gleam in his eyes with whom I got along quite well).

I returned to the US in 1978 and lived in Berkeley for several years before dropping out of college and traveling to South East Asia.


SAVAGE KITTEN
I met Savage Kitten in 1989. We've been living together for nearly fifteen years now. She has no intention of ever getting married - she regards wedlock as a methodology for making Cantonese American females miserable (as, indeed, it seems to have been for many of her mother's generation). Plus I am hardly the successful Toishanese-American dentist with real-estate holdings that she has been programmed to wed.

I speak better Cantonese than she does, but she learned how to curse most marvelously in Toishanese from her mother. The Cantonese dialects are earthy.


HASHKOFO
The involvement in Judaic subjects was a gradual thing. I knew Jews when I lived in the Netherlands, and there have always been Jews on my book shelves. I find more in Judaism that makes sense to me than in Christianity.
I acquired a translation of Rashi's commentary several years ago, but it was preceded by Jacob Neusner's writings and followed by Bloom and Friedman. I now have a substantial collection of books exploring facets of Judaism and matters Israeli, but have only three New testaments - King James, Staten Bijbel, and the Nupela Testamen (New Guinea Pidgin English).

Before I returned from the Netherlands I knew Tanach better than NT (and much better than the classmates who told me I was going to hell for not being of the same creed as them).
Since then I've also acquired a smattering of Talmud and a smidgen of Sfas Emes.

What keeps me from converting is an unhealthy level of skepsis plus the idea that one should not separate oneself from one's community (yes, that's davka poresh min ha tzibbur - but I am already poresh mi darkei tzibbur). There's more to it than that, but less than meets the eye.
[Oh, and if I were to convert, I would be living in a household with absolutely no acceptable standard of kashrus whatsoever. You go tell a Cantonese woman that shrimp and lobster are possul. That meshugge I'm not.]


Besides, there have always been not-completely-assimilated elements in the Judaic world; just think of the Erev Rav, who left Mitzrahim with the descendants of Yakov - they were probably shooting craps behind some bushes when Moses came down from the mountain.
They were also far too busy rigging poker games to be sidetracked by that whole eigel hazahav business. And that thing with the fire-pans? Pre-occupied with dice and cards, still.

Forty years later they were the only ones who looked up surprised and said "what, we're there already? How the heck did that happen?!?"

The souls of all the erev rav in existence were present at Sinai. It isn't till we drop the loaded dice that we become Jewish.

21 comments:

Phillip Minden said...

Huh? Dude, so many letters. So, like, couldn't you just say yes or no?

The back of the hill said...

Well, I really wanted to answer the question once and for all.

One answer. A long answer. The most complete answer to all the questions. And no more answer than that.

Oh, plus giving e-kvetcher the autobiographical stuff he requested when he threatened to 'drag (my) Dutch ass to Den Haag to stand trial' for depriving my readers of something.

[See comments under this post: http://atthebackofthehill.blogspot.com/2008/03/words-that-glow.html ]

Graham, another regular commenter, also expressed some curiosity. As have others. Hence this lange meisse.

The back of the hill said...

Oh, and so near to peysach, the family history seems particularly relevant. Our own yetzias mitzrayim, as it were.

That, too, is a hindrance to conversion.
In what way could I relive the exodus as if I myself experienced it, if I separated myself from my own migration?

"...le ma'an tizkor es yawm tzeisecho m'aretz mitzrayim kol yemay chayecho - yemay chayecho hayomim, kol yemay chayecho halaylos; vachachomim omrim 'yemay chayecho' ha olam ha ze, kol yemay chayecho l'hovi limos haMoshiach.

Davka because I "remember" I can "relive". Kler, nu?

Sófisti said...

Heh, I know almost nothing about Judaism, but I think it was a great shame that the Jewish did not continue adding to the Bible as their ancestors had. It would be nice if some Rabbis would gather and elect a board of editors to go through Jewish and non-Jewish writings, to edit them profoundly to fit into this great tradition. After all, the Bible is not a book, it is a library, and there is no reason for why the library should not be expanded.

That aside, if you have been baptized, and if you have been confirmed, then whatever you do for the rest of your life you will be a Christian before God, (according to St. Augustine), as it is human to err, and every error is forgiven. Or something like that.

Also: I wonder what you mean by the concept of Christianity in your entry though, which was over all a nice entry and what not.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Some Yichus. Well it is good under the circumstances that you don't convert. You don't want G-d destroying your kitchen because of shrimp. I imagine the Christian Trinity is none too happy with you but that's ok. In heaven you can flee to the Jewish side.

treppenwitz said...

Well that answered most of my unasked questions quite nicely. Thank you. :-)

e-kvetcher said...

>Oh, plus giving e-kvetcher the autobiographical stuff he requested when he threatened to 'drag (my) Dutch ass to Den Haag to stand trial' for depriving my readers of something.

OK. Your Dutch ass is now safe :)

The Big Little Tommy said...

I thougt it was a great answer, what is lipman talking about? Bravo i say, Bravo!

Eliezer Eisenberg said...

After reading your amazing and strange story,the one question that remains, for me, is this: do you eat shrimp Cantonese style, with the head?

Phillip Minden said...

Kiddin', Thomas, I was kiddin'!

You could have guessed from my demand to answer those questions he mentions ("are you Dutch or American?" and "are you Jewish or Gentile?") by yes or no.

I had known most of the outline.

The back of the hill said...

Hello Barzilai,

Regarding shrimp, I'm okay with the heads, but her "addiction" to lobster (龍 蝦 - "dragon prawn") leaves me choking on her dust....

Shrimps, meh. They're okay I guess. Lobster don't really excite me.
For her, however, lobster is like valium, happy juice, and illegal stimulants rolled into one.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm

Did your father fly a bomber based in the UK, with 6 Group?

Graham

The back of the hill said...

Graham, I don't know the answer to that question, and pater isn't around anymore to ask. Sorry.

All I know is he trained in Saskatchewan and BC, and flew out of an aerodrome in south-west England for nearly three years. He joined the RCAF in 1942, I think.

Oh, and I also know that he was envious of the American pilots - not because of equipment or altitude, but because of their food. The Americans ate well.

Before he died I taped him about the war. Haven't been able to listen to the tape in the 18 years since.

Unknown said...

Respect.
Shabbat shalom vechag sameach, my dear Yisrael lover.

Anonymous said...

OK

Let me see...

No photo-albums hanging around mebbe?

Surname starts with M ? pleez confirm - personal name also if poss.

SW England suggests Coastal Command

The Americans still eat well....

find the tape - & listen to it....


Graham (ex RAF)
Lid / member
Studiegroep Luchtoorlog 1939-1945
Bomber Command Association
Air-Britain & Branche Francaise de A-B

The back of the hill said...

Thank you Lemuel,

And to you and all readers of the blog the same - a zisn & gebentshte shabbes ve yontif, and may we all see biyas goel tzedek, bimhera viyameinu.

The back of the hill said...

Graham,

Surname indeed starts with M.
Personal name was William, middle initial E.

Place of residence may have been listed as Beverly Hills, place of birth London. Year of birth was 1923 (not sure - will have to check).

The back of the hill said...

Graham, any further details will have to be via e-mail, as there are a few people out there I would not want to let find out too much.

[They're strictly local, of course. Let's just say that cautious paranoia is standard operating practice around the back of the hill.]

Anonymous said...

Hark.. the Sabbath approaches Blogmeester!

all things shall be dealt with in due time

ttfn
Graham

;-)

Friar Yid (not Shlita) said...

Very interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Wow, seriously. All the answers to all the questions I never thought to ask. Write a book!

Moadim LeSimcha.

Search This Blog

THE ADDENDUM AT TEA

Tea time, as regular readers know, is very important to me. But instead of going to one of my regular places I gave it a miss today. I just ...