Monday, December 18, 2006

QUANDARY

It is at this point that I realize that there is a quandary. Which I really should have noticed before, but sometimes parts of my humongous ego occlude my view.

[This type of self-depreciating 'vidui' is called fake humility - it is something I'm quite good at, very proud of, and even boast about - I'll pretend you're smiling appreciatively right now.]


The quandary davka is this: who the heck reads my postings on the parsha of the week?


The target audience (readers of more-or-less orthodox Jewish background), is probably the least likely to feel entirely comfortable reading such things - chochma ba Goyim ta'amin, Torah ba Goyim al ta'amin. And certainly they will feel restraint about commenting.

The other side of the coin are Gentiles. But would many Gentiles even have the appetite, far less the familiarity with the material, to know what the heck I'm talking about and be able to discuss?

[And if they did comment, most likely that lovely little quote above would have to kick in.... Torah ba Goyim al ta'amin and all that jazz.]


You can see, it's a bit of a twist. Those with whom I want to discuss have to restrain themselves, those most likely to discuss are probably ab initio disqualified.


Who or what does that leave?


Unobservant Jews? Reform? Renewal? New-Age? That Feminist Womyn's Empowerment Wicca Minyan over in the East-Bay? Rabbi Lerner's Tikkun Community? Kabalah dabblers? Whackheads?

Christians???!!!!!?


Do any of these alternatives even understand the concept of studying the text regularly and attentively rather than reading it occasionally for the narrative and glib quotes?

More to the point, would they be able to play according to the rules?

[Comments and interpretations must more-or-less veer towards the established approaches, instead of being reinterpretations that would substantiate heterodox schools of thought or their own 'tradition' - and you know precisely what I mean by that.]

And would I even want them here?


I guess my actual audience would probably be considered apikorsish by one side, or meshune by the other extreme.
Internetim, kofrim, apikorsim, and various similarly appelled who have in some way deviated from a more attentive and better travelled derech.

[Not that there is anything wrong with that.]

The real question is, am I giving them something worth reading? Is what I post about the parsha in any way stimulating?


It is however not so very shver.........

I presume that some people (J-Bloggers) are indeed reading the parsha postings and just discretely keeping quiet.
I believe that the odd Christian who stumbles into this blog stumbles right out again, having understood almost nothing.
I doubt that atheists even believe in computers, so they aren't really here.
And I'm primarily writing the parsha posts to clarify things for myself, which is why I call them 'notes'.


So I think I am actually reaching the right audience when delving into the weekly parsha - that being all of us.
Thank you for being here.
I just, sometimes, wish I that could hear you breathing.

Coming up: Parshas Miketz. Which is quite exciting. I'll write about it tomorrow evening.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tayera Reb The Back of the Hill
Don't worry I read them (less frequently than I'd like too.) Even Rashi didn't have blogging posts on him. But I will check them out and maybe drop comments too. You should keep them coming. I think we should give you honorary Red Sea Pedestrian status. Watch out for the cars.

Anonymous said...

I read them my friend but my comprehension is not that good. For instance; when you say "This type of self-depreciating" are you making fun of yourself or just shitting yourself. I always get that mixed up. :-)
Kevin

Ezzie said...

More people read it than you think. BeyondBT has a good post today about learning from everywhere, anyway. :)

(Plus, I didn't even *know* until a few weeks ago!)

The back of the hill said...

Tayere Rabban Gamliel, Kevin, Ezzie,


I really appreciate the words of encouragement. And yes, I'll watch out for cars.... although I've heard that there's a history of vehicles getting stuck in the mud in that area.

Anonymous said...

"The target audience (readers of more-or-less orthodox Jewish background), is probably the least likely to feel entirely comfortable reading such things...

*****

Not necessarily:
From Pirke Avot:

Ben Zoma said: Who is wise? He who learns from all men...

or from the Grateful Dead:
"Once in a while, you can get shown the light,
In the strangest of places, if you look at it right"

I hope that all people, including your target audience, approach learning with open hearts, open minds and good attitudes.

We're out here. Breathing.
But you shouldn't write for us- you should write for yourself. (I think you already know that.)At any rate, the target audience for tongue recipes is very very limited.

e-kvetcher said...

Kilroy was here!

The back of the hill said...

Yay, Kilroy!


;-D

Search This Blog

THIS POST ISN'T ABOUT WOMEN

There are several artists rolling over in their graves right now. One or two aren't dead yet, but never mind. Rolling. Among them Frank ...