Friday, July 31, 2026

IF NOTHING ELSE, GET A CAT

There is a cat downstairs. I have seen him only a few times in all those years. He does not resemble the ghost cat who lives in our apartment. My apartment mate has seen him more often than I have, because our landlady sometimes asks her to go and feed him for a few days when she is out of town. This brings up two things: 1) Cantonese American women like cats. 2) Sometimes Cantonese American women are amazingly energetic. My apartment mate, a Cantonese American woman, regularly walks all over the place, and our landlady, a Cantonese American woman, goes on trips, hikes across Nob and Russian Hill, and though around eighty years old looks timeless and acts like a vibrant much younger woman.


I am not a Cantonese American woman. Yesterday I dealt with several of them in the course of running my errands. The people in the clinic and pharmacy are Cantonese women.
Cantonese American women frequently staff C'town shops.


Cantonese women seldom overload on caffeinated beverages, because knowing how far away one is from a clean well-lighted place to pee is always an issue in this city.
Peeing is something women always would much rather do indoors.
Preferably behind a securely locked door.

I know from bitter observation that men will piss damned well anywhere.
Especially if they're Berkeley frat boys and intoxicated.
Or e-tech marketing dude-bros.
To the best of my knowledge, only one of the Cantonese American women I encountered yesterday has offspring. She may also have a cat, I don't know. There are several cats in Chinatown. At least eight of them are shop-cats at places where the staff is mostly female. Which rather presumes that there are cat-boxes somewhere.
Probably in a clean well-lighted area.


Men reading this would be well-advised to keep the bathroom clean and make sure the lightbulb hasn't burned out. Yes, I know you can do a lot of things in the dark, it's put-near miraculous what you can achieve under extreme circumstances, but that isn't the point.
Don't worry too much about how the toilet paper roll goes.
The key thing is that you have one.
Preferably several.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

IF NOTHING ELSE, GET A CAT

There is a cat downstairs. I have seen him only a few times in all those years. He does not resemble the ghost cat who lives in our apartmen...