Wednesday, July 15, 2026

CUSTOMER FOR EVER A DECADE

Normally on Wednesday I would go to a regular place for lunch, smoke a pipe afterwards, do errands and shopping, then head to a bakery for afternoon tea and an egg tart. Followed by another pipeful. The regular place is on vacation till next month, and I haven't gone to that bakery in months. Largely because of four of the regulars. Those being older American born Chinese gentlemen. There are three other places to which I do not go. One of them has a tableful of discourteous middle-aged Toishanese in the afternoon on Wednesdays, one of them showed that they really didn't give a damn about my patronage, and at the last the owner has several times has been apathetic. I tip well, and I do not smell bad.
I tip well because I want you to remember me favourably the next time.
If you have seats, I wish to enjoy my food and beverage there.
And if I greet you, it would be nice to greet me back.

All of the places referenced are in Chinatown. On my days off I like to go there because it's the safest neighborhood in San Francisco, with a hospital and pharmacy where I can get my refills, there are vegetables and condiments I depend upon there, I enjoy the foods, snacks, and milk tea, and I can smoke a pipeful in an alley without having suburban earthmoms or wokey clean-living freaks scream at me that I'm poisoning the planet and their lungs.

But I am white, and a grouchy pissant to boot. So understandably, I do not go there for the people. There are many whom I like, and some regular places to which I go, but largely 'no'. Evenso, the places I no longer frequent are less than half the places which I like.
The Wednesday bakery that I no longer visit has gorgeous cakes, delicious pastries, and egg tarts fresh out of the oven (蛋撻啱啱出爐 'daan taat ngaam ngaam chut lou') right about tea time. And I really like their egg tarts. But, as I prevously mentioned, I am white, so in no way an old time Chinatown American born Chinese, and you may have also surmised that while my Cantonese is passable, my Toisanwaa is virtually non-existent (meaning I don't feel quite welcome at their sister establishment -- see tableful of discourteous middle-aged blisters also previously mentioned) and a grumpy old coot besides. Plus too sensitive to slights and likely to perceive deliberate rudeness when casual and mere apathetic rudeness was intended.
And I probably do smell bad.
Mm, yes, frightful.
Quite.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

UNDERCOVER MONSTERS

It is still foggy and dark on the hill, fog horns sound regularly from the Bay. An older man crossed ahead of me, gaunt silhouette, slow pac...