Thursday, July 16, 2020

PACKED FOR ADVENTURE

Right arm sore as heck, and in a queer mood. The first of two shots for the shingles vaccine in my shoulder started hurting last night, and interfered with sleeping. And I woke up several times. This is the direct result of a scheduled check-up at the clinic, and a doctor who knows what he's doing. Plus a nurse with keen needle skills, because in all honesty I barely felt it at the time.

It's the one-year anniversary of my ruptured appendix.
Which I should be celebrating, because I survived.
And I am. Pipeful of Virginia tobacco.


Last year in July I spent five days being grumpy and lethargic after surgery. No smoking, no urge to smoke. And one cannot smoke inside the hospital anyway. I think they're jealous.

One problem they have there is what to feed the patients, most of whom are Cantonese and under normal circumstances quite passionate about food. And I must commend them on their presentation of the lovely meals, for which I had no appetite. One nurse went beyond the call of duty to fetch me some hotsauce just to get me to eat. For which I am very grateful.


In no particular order, here are some of the things I had at the hospital:

Bupivacaine
Ciprofloxacin
Fentanyl
Iohexol
Lidocaine
Neostigmine
Metronidazole
Midazolam
Neostigmine
Glycopyrrolate
Etomidate
Ondansetron
Sodium Chloride solution
Potassium Chloride
Rocuronium
Docusate Sodium
Polyethylene Glycol Oral Powder
Vancomycin

Hartmann's Solution ("lactated ringers"), used as fluid and electrolyte replacement for patients with low blood volume or low blood pressure.

Plus Acetominophen, Acetominophen-Hydrocodone, Aspirin, Metoproplol Succinate ER, Atorvastatin, Losartan, Clopidogrel, .....
Insertions, incisions, venipunctures, tests, .....
Various procedures.

I rather wish that I had been awake the whole time, as it would have been both fascinating and educational.


A positive result is that I am not nearly as needle-phobic as I was.


One thing I've learned is to go to the emergency room before the appendix explodes, which is now somewhat useless information in my case, unless any other organs decide to follow suit, and to have a medical dictionary or encyclopedia in one's overnight bag.
For reading enjoyment.


Oh yeah, plus at least one pipe and suitable tobacco for an invalid.


"See, nurse, I'm getting better. Me and my intravenous baggy are just calmly sitting over here in the alleyway opposite the hospital, not bothering anyone with our smoke ... "


"No, don't call the orderly, I'm fine."


The day I got released, I disappeared for a while.
Time with a pipe was necessary.
Mental health.



TOBACCO INDEX


==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

SAN FRANCISCO IS TOO DANGEROUS!

A few years ago, my regular care physician and I had an informative talk about kangkong (ipomoea aquatica), sidetracking from my tobacco use...