Sunday, August 14, 2011

EGGS AND OYSTERS BETTER THAN THE TADICH GRILL

I probably spent too much time at the office over the weekend.
But for a change I did not eat in Chinatown at all.
Instead, I ate at home both days.

Only one meal worth noting.


蠔豉蒸水蛋
STEAMED OMELETTE WITH DRIED OYSTERS


2 large eggs.
Half a cup of water, plus 2 TBS.
Eight dried oysters, soaked, cut in half.
About a quarter of a zucchini, thin sliced.
Half a rasher bacon, chopped and limp-cooked.
Pinch ground pepper.
Pinch sugar.
Drizzle sesame oil.
Minced scallion for garnish.

Whisk the egg and water till smoothly blended. Incorporate the bacon, zucchini and dried oysters, as well as the pinches of pepper and sugar. Pour it into a broad pyrex pie dish and steam it for ten minutes.
Garnish with the scallion and drizzle the sesame oil over.



Very good and comforting with hot rice and a bowl of clear soup with leaf-greens.
NOTE: for extra good, use grease from the bacon to oil the pie dish.


I would have liked to have shared this with someone, in which case there would be other dishes too - perhaps a poached fish with shredded black mushrooms and green pepper, and some stirfried veggies - but you'll no doubt understand that I'm a bit hesitant about dragging in strangers off the street.
They might not like my cooking.


==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly: 

LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

OR MAYBE YOU ARE A HIPSTER

The first smoke of the day is accompanied by stumbling and dog poo. Not for me, as I am chipper and vibrant with hot strong coffee boiling t...