Monday, March 09, 2026

FILLED WITH GOO

What does a Dutchman do after seeing his cardiologist first thing in the morning? Why, he goes off to Chinatown for snackies, of course. At around ten thirty I sat down to congee and a youtiao. Plus milk tea. The place where I actually planned to go was closed -- it's open seven days a week from early morning till late afternoon, so one wonders what's wrong -- and in consequence I spent more than I originally intended. But I got to people watch. Three tables had Mandarin speakers, two had Cantonese speakers, two had Chinese women with their non-Chinese love interests, and one table had a Mainland businessman who had ordered too much, but he manfully ate all of it, because, you know, the money.

[Everything about him screamed Mainland businessman. There's something about the type.]


To a certain extent I'm envious. If I ate that much food in one sitting I would be in discomfort probably till evening. Ooh, I can't walk, I'm bloated, why did I do that, and what, ultimately, is the meaning of existence?


Pork liver lean meat congee (一碗豬肝瘦肉粥 'yat wun jü gon sau yiuk juk'). A little slivered ginger, a dusting of pepper. And a hot fresh yautiu (油條).

That's actually as close to the meaning of existence as you can get.
But I already knew that.
The appointment was exactly at the time the office opened. So I was there half an hour early and cooled my heels. It is most often the case that I show up for medical appointments far too early, and for anything else also. On work days I'm usually there over an hour before anyone else. I factor in errors and the unforeseen, and I hate rushing about.

It took me a long time before I learned to do this.

I'm kind of stupid at times.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

POKE THEM IN THE EYE!

Mr. Bevis Mustard hated bulls eyes, so he had his sons Armstrong and Clinton poke them all out. Their agile fingers busied themselves with t...