Wednesday, November 28, 2007

A SLUTTY LITTLE THING: THE RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD

On my way to the magazine store to purchase the latest edition of Arts Of Asia magazine (main article: Translucent World: Chinese Jade from the Forbidden City) I saw my first ever Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus).

The male of the species is very recognizable - red shoulder pads or epaulettes on a body otherwise jet in colour. The female of the species is a drab little bird, indistinguishable from many other equally drab little birds.

These creatures sleep around like you wouldn't believe. Males will have over a dozen partners, macho conquest and defense of territory are its middle names. Females will sneakily have two or three other partners, often the males of neighboring territories. It is commonly found in wetlands. The San Francisco financial district hardly qualifies as such.

3 comments:

The Big Little Tommy said...

I love this story because it reminds me of my father (who passed away 08/06) he used to love to sit outside on the front porch in Milwaukee,with his bare feet, shorts and hat, and watch the birds across the street in the park. God, he loved to watch the birds! And when the Red-Winged Blackbird(s) would appear, I was always in awe and he never failed to point them out.

A fond memory, brings a tear to my eye.

Spiros said...

"What is the flight speed of a red-winged blackbird?"
"African, or European?"
"I don't know that...AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!"

The back of the hill said...

"When you're a king you have to know these kinds of things"

Search This Blog

BEFORE THE RAINS

Well, sleep was sheerly awful. Legs. My cardiologist tells me that there is a solution for that. Yet I hesitate, because I'm walking mor...